Homemade hot cocoa with chocolate covered marshmallows is the perfect way to stay cozy this Valentine’s Day. Rich and decadent, and lusciously thick, homemade hot chocolate is an indulgent treat like few others.
Why limit yourself to instant packets, when making hot chocolate from scratch couldn’t be easier? What’s even better is that you can customize your hot cocoa to make it as special as you and your loved ones. Add a little cinnamon or a pinch of chili powder to give it a spicy kick, or add a splash of liqueur for a grown-up twist. To fancy it up even more, you can top it with a dollop of whipped cream or these chocolate covered marshmallows which are as delightful on their own, as they are topped on hot cocoa.
No matter how you choose to make it, homemade hot chocolate is a luxurious treat that is sure to make this Valentine’s Day extra special. So, put on your favorite romantic tunes, and whip up some delicious homemade hot chocolate, paired with chocolate covered marshmallows, because it’s sure to be a hit!
Yes, that’s two layers of chocolate.
- Chocolate. Semi-sweet or dark chocolate both work fine, as does white chocolate. This is purely a matter of preference.
- Marshmallows. Large marshmallows are what you will need for today’s easy recipe.
- Sprinkles. Purely for decoration. I also used rose gold sugar dust to add a little shimmer to these candies.
Tips for Making the Best Hot Chocolate
- Use high quality chocolate. While this probably goes without saying, chocolate is the star of the show in this recipe, and that means you want to use the best quality chocolate you have available. That does ‘not’ mean using super expensive chocolate. Instead, it means that if you enjoy the chocolate on its own, it’s good enough for the hot chocolate.
- Use whole milk. For a richer flavor, you absolutely ‘must’ have the fat present in whole milk. As stated in the ingredient list, you might even consider substituting about a third of the milk for heavy cream.
- Vanilla. A splash of vanilla enhances the flavor of the chocolate by balancing the sweetness and countering the acidity.
Tips for Getting Fancy with Hot Chocolate
- Candied Nuts. Considering top your hot chocolate with crushed candied nuts for added texture, and a delightful layer of flavor complexity that’s equal parts sweet, salty, and nutty.
- Fancy Whipped Cream. Consider getting fancy with whipped cream by swirling it with caramel, or butterscotch, or cherry or strawberry extract for added Valentine’s flair.
- Make It Boozy. This one’s as simple as stirring in your favorite liqueur. Consider two tablespoons of amaretto, or Kahlua, or rum.
- Coffee-Hot Chocolate. Here again, this one’s fairly simple to pull off. Simply brew a few ounces of coffee (preferably dark roasted coffee or espresso), and simply add that into the recipe.
- Spice It Up. Add a pinch of cayenne pepper for a spicy kick. Sweet and Spicy is one of my favorite combos!
More Hot Chocolate Treats to Love
- Best 3-Ingredient Hot Cocoa. I server today’s chocolate covered marshmallows with this recipe that is my tried and true go-to. It’s easy to whisk together and delicious indulgent.
- Hot Chocolate Ice Cream. Here you’re basically using the hot chocolate as a flavoring agent. Using my recipe for homemade, no churn vanilla bean ice cream, simply add in four ounces the hot chocolate (cold), and mix.
- Hot Chocolate French Toast. For Hot Chocolate French Toast, simply replace the milk used to coat the bread with hot chocolate. For example, in my Pumpkin Spice French Toast, simply substitute the cup of whole milk for a cup of this hot chocolate, and proceed with the rest of the recipe as is.
- Hot Chocolate Fudge. This is super simple. Take a basic fudge recipe, one using sixteen ounces of semi-sweet chocolate chips, four ounces of heavy cream, two tablespoons butter, and simply add in four ounces of hot chocolate. Then simply prepare the fudge as you normally would. It’s that simple.
Chocolate Covered Marshmallows
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American
- 12 marshmallows
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Line a baking sheet with wax paper or parchment.
- In a double-boiler, melt down chocolate chips.
- Dip each marshmallow in the melted chocolate then top with your desired sprinkles.
Place on the prepared baking sheet. Pop the marshmallows in the fridge so they set quickly.
- Serve with a cup of hot cocoa if desired or enjoy on their own.
Keywords: candy, chocolate, marshmallows, hot cocoa
And that’s my Valentine’s Day Hot Chocolate with chocolate covered marshmallows. I hope you enjoyed this recipe as much as I enjoyed bringing it to you. If you have any suggestions or questions for this or other content, let me know in the comments below. I love hearing from you!
If you enjoyed this recipe, don’t forget to like, share, and subscribe! It helps more than you can know!0
So I was just telling my friends the other day that I needed a chocolate covered marshmallow or two for my hot chocolate. These were perfect for my drink!
These marshmallows are absolutely perfect company to a cup of hot cocoa! My kids loved it and keep asking for more!
I made these chocolate covered marshmallows last night and served them in hot mocha for my kiddos this morning. They’re amazing on their own, but they add such creaminess to warm drinks. I’ll be making these on repeat often.
Well, you now have me craving hot chocolate! Plus those marshmallows look amazing! I will definitely try making some!
These marshmallows look amazing. My girl would love these.
Fancy chocolate is what I need for Valentines. The one thing that makes hot chocolate drinks better are marshmallows.Thank you so much for this recipe.
Samantha Donnelly says
My daughter loves hot chocolate, and also loves her marshmallows on them, I actually restocked yesterday. I think these would make it even better
What a fun idea! My 3 boys are going to be obsessed. There’s nothing they love more than marshmallows in their hot chocolate. This will really take it up a notch for special occasions.
omg this looks so so good!!! I am for sure doing it! Chocolate covered marshmallows, soooo good!!! Thank you so much.
How have I lived this long without making chocolate covered marshmallows! They elevate the hot chocolate so much and they are great for just eating all by themselves!
What a yummy treat. And the marshmallow to top it of. Simply perfection. I love a rich, chocolatey, hot chocolate drink.
Oh wow, this chocolate is definitely something that I need to make over this weekend! Fantastic way to make one’s evening special 🙂
This is an absolutely delicious delicacy, especially with the marshmallow on top. It’s simply perfection. I have a fondness for hot chocolate drinks that are rich in chocolate flavor.
Such a cute idea! I think I would enjoy these more than hot cocoa bombs. So many fun ideas for decorating them too!
I love chocolate-covered marshmallows but I had never thought of putting them in hot chocolate – or making them myself. This is definitely a must-try recipe. What a great idea!
Homemade hot chocolate is the best! So rich and decadent!
Homemade chocolate is always the best. This looks so rich and delicious. Thanks for sharing.
OMG this is brilliant. Never eating just marshmallow alone anymore! The more chocolate the better!