This post has been updated August 2020. The original recipe was published April 2013.
Sweet, salty, crisp, yet soft inside, these Chocolate Potato Chips are a fun and delicious twist on the beloved Chocolate Chip Cookie.
I decided early this morning to make some cookies for a friend. I had a leftover bag of potato chips and lots of chocolate candies leftover from the Easter holiday. The result were these Chocolate Potato Chip Cookies, which has now become a family favorite recipe.
Today’s recipe yields about 2 dozen cookies total.
The secret to getting the crispy exterior and the soft center lies within the butter ratio and bake time. The recipe calls for a cup of butter but make sure it is softened to room temp and that it is unsalted. Having the butter at room temp will allow it to whip evenly once you beat in the sugar and eggs.
A golden rule when baking chocolate chip cookies is to always take them out 2-3 minutes earlier than you normally would, if you want them to stay extra soft. This practice was made famous by Levain Bakery who famously bake their cookies at a very high temperature for a short amount of time. While I did not bake these cookies at a high temp, I only make them about 10 minutes. Just until the edges are golden, but the center isn’t quite golden yet. This technique will ensure your cookies have the desire consistency each time.
Now my favorite part- let’s talk add-ins. Naturally, you could go the extra step and even turn these into Cowboy Cookies, but I’m a bit of a minimalist. Normally, I just go for plain chocolate chips occasionally, maybe a few added nuts. This time around, I opted for the potato chips which add a nice salty bite and a subtle crunch to the consistency. It is a perfect balance and fun surprise.
More Cookies Recipes to Love
1. Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookies – Keeping to the easy process of making cookies, this gluten free batch is still so simple to whip up in a snap. Not only is it free of gluten, but it is also nut free. They are thin and crispy but the center is melt-in-your mouth soft!
2. Chewy Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies – Today, we’re whipping up a batch of cookies featuring one of my absolute favorite flavor pairings – peanut butter and chocolate, combined with a decadently chewy, super-moist texture.
3. Soft Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies – Finally have a cookie that is as soft and chewy and delicious as Entenmann’s! These cookies will literally melt in your mouth.
Chocolate Potato Chip Cookies
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 2 1x
- Category: Dessert
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 2 eggs
- 2 1/2 cups chopped chocolate candy
- 1 cup coarsely crushed potato chips
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- Preheat Oven 350 degrees.
- In a small bowl combine the chopped chocolate and the crushed potato chips.
- In a large bowl combine the flour, salt, baking powder and set aside.
- In a separate bowl combine the butter and sugars and mix with an electric mixer. Add the eggs and continue to mix.
- Slowly, add the chips.
- Next, slowly add the flour.
- Place on parchment paper and bake for 8-10 minutes or until the edges turn golden.
- Serving Size: 1
If You Enjoyed Today’s Recipe…
Be sure to follow us on Instagram to stay up to date with all things Living the Gourmet, and for more great recipes, tips and tricks.
Did you make this recipe?0