Do you want a healthy, delicious, and easy-to-make salad that can be served any time of the year? Look no further than this Mediterranean Chickpea Salad! This light and delicious salad takes only minutes to prepare, is full of fresh and vibrant flavors, and is sure to be a hit at any gathering.
The chickpeas are providing the ‘meat’ of the salad, and we’ll be combining them with a medley of ingredients, such as sundried tomatoes, capers, Kalamata olives, and Italian parsley. We’ll be dressing the salad with a simple and evergreen combination of lemon juice, olive oil, and red pepper. All of this combines to create a light, refreshing, and satisfying salad, that pairs well with things like falafel, kebabs, and light pasta dishes. Conversely, consider wrapping it with feta and fresh greens in homemade flatbreads to create a super simple wrap.
No matter how you serve it, today’s salad is sure to be a hit. So, if you're looking for a salad that's full of flavor, easy to make, that keeps well for a few days in the fridge, and that can be made all year round, this Mediterranean Chickpea Salad is the perfect option. Read on to learn how to make it, as well as some tips and tricks to ensure a delicious result every time.
- Chickpeas. The base of the salad. Also known as garbanzo beans, chickpeas feature a slightly nutty taste and a firm, creamy texture.
- Sundried Tomatoes. These add a great pop of flavor to the salad and help to really bring the ‘Mediterranean flavor’ profile to life. Slicing them thin will help to disperse the flavor evenly throughout the dish.
- Celery. Celery adds a crunchy texture to the salad, and a nice pop of color.
- Capers and Caper Juice. Capers bring a salty or briny flavor to the salad. Using caper juice will help to bring out the flavor of the capers even more, fully dispersing it through the salad.
- Kalamata Olives. Probably the most well-known variety of Greek olive, beloved for their dark purple color, and their firm meaty texture. They bring a slightly salty and tangy flavor to the salad.
- Italian Parsley. Parsley adds a bright and fresh flavor to the dish, as well as a bit of color.
- Lemon. For citrus flavor and a dash of acid to help brighten up the salad’s other ingredients.
- Olive Oil. I’d recommend using a decent quality extra virgin olive oil, as it’s going to be consumed raw, and we’re using quite a bit of it.
- Salt. While I would recommend sea salt for today’s salad, feel free to use plain table salt if that’s all you have.
- Red Pepper Flakes. For a touch of heat and a bit of color.
- Fresh Ground Black Pepper. This is one instance where I would really recommend using freshly ground pepper.
- The Red Pepper. Feel free to substitute in your favorite chili flakes if you prefer a bit more heat or a bit more ‘chili flavor.’ A dash of cayenne, paprika, or chili powder – or a mix the three – can all substitute. In each case, use them to taste.
- The Olives. I’m using Kalamata olives purely as a matter of preference. Your preferred type of olive will work just fine in today’s recipe. Green olives, Sicilian Castelvetrano, Nicoise, Picholine, Gaeta, and Spanish manzanilla olives are all great substitutes.
Pairing Today’s Salad
- Wine. A light, dry white wine, such as a Sauvignon Blanc, Pinot Grigio, or Riesling, would pair well with this salad.
- Falafel. The mix of lemon juice, Kalamata olives, and red pepper in this salad would pair deliciously with a side of freshly made falafel.
- Kebabs. Probably the best pairing for today’s salad are kebabs. Particularly pork or lamb kebabs, assembled with grilled veggies and onions.
- Light Pasta. Any light pasta dish, especially those tossed with oil and garlic, would be a delightful pairing for today’s salad.
Mediterranean Chickpea Salad
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 4-6 1x
- 15.5 oz. can of chickpeas - rinsed and drained (I used Goya)
- 5 - 6 sun-dried tomatoes - sliced thin
- 2 stalks celery - chopped fine
- 2 - 3 tsps. capers - plus a tsp. of caper juice
- 10 - 12 Kalamata olives - pitted and chopped
- 1/2 cup of Italian parsley - stemmed and chopped
- 1/2 lemon (with skin) - sliced thin
- 1/2 cup of olive oil
- 1 tsp. of salt
- 1 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp. fresh ground black pepper
- Place all of the ingredients for the salad in a medium sized bowl; add the salt, red pepper flakes, black pepper and olive oil and toss.
- Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Serve with fresh pita breads.
- Serving Size: 1
Keywords: side dish, salad, vegetarian, vegan, healthy recipes
Thank you so much for reading to the end. I truly hope you enjoyed today’s recipe as much as I enjoyed bringing it to you. Let me know in the comments below if you tried today’s recipe, or if you have any suggestions for future content. We love hearing from you.
Simple but very delicious! Love mediterranean flavour!
Yum Yum Yum I need to make this now it looks so good. Will be making it this weekend.
Sue-Tanya Mchorgh says
This Mediterranean Chickpea Salad looks so yummy. I would love to try making this.
I am salivating, no lie! I saved this recipe on pinterest and I will be making this TODAY.
Myrah Duque says
I like Mediterranean food, however, I've never had a Chickpea Salad. Sounds delicious and very healthy.
Yeah Lifestyle says
I have just discovered Mediterranean flavours and this is something I've realised that I enjoy. Would love to try making this salad for my family
Melissa Cushing says
Thank you so much for sharing this delicious and refreshing looking recipe. I love chick peas so any recipe that incorporates them into it is all right by me and the fact it is simple and clean eating too makes it extra special 🙂 Making this tomorrow 🙂
David Elliott says
This looks so delicious here. I would love to try to make it. My daughter loves chickpeas and this would be great.
Um yessssss please! Not only incredibly healthy but super easy on the eyes as well!
Amazing delicious recipe love everything in it
This chickpea salad is absolutely delicious! It's so hearty and flavorful. We all really enjoyed it. Thank you!
Whitney Stewart says
This is yet another example of a yummy looking menu option from your blog! Looks awesome! I’ll have to give it a try! Thank you for sharing!
This salad is EVERYTHING I love all in one bowl The flavors were perfect. I served it with a loaf of olive bread and it was the perfect lunch.
Oh, I love healthy salads that are full of flavor. This is sure to be a crowd favorite.
Your recipe has everything I love. I cannot wait to make it.
Lima Ekram says
Just made this recipe! Ate it as a main dish - very tasty and filling!
I think I will make this easy chickpea salad recipe again and again! I loved it.
This is great to pack for a healthy lunch. It's savory and flavorful.
I am not a big fan of chickpeas, but I shared this to my cousin and she fell in love with it.
Luna S says
Chickpea seems quite popular at the moment, I've seen a lot of dishes with it lately. This one sounds and looks quite tasty!
omg the salad looks out of this world!!! I love Mediterranean food, it is so healthy and fresh. I can't wait to make your recipe, can't wait!
Claudia Krusch says
I love trying out new salads! Can't wait to try yours! It looks sooo good!
I keep coming back to this tasty Mediterranean salad with chickpeas. Healthy and satisfying
Red pepper flakes do add just the right amount of heat. And I LOVE chickpeas. I'd make this salad in a heartbeat.
Kristy Bullard says
Love the flavor combinations in this salad! And, the lemon gives it a wonderful zing and makes it light and refreshing.
It looks really so yummy to eat. I will try out this recipe