Summer’s freshest peaches and blueberries are tossed in a Boysenberry sauce and served over a batch of fluffy homemade pancakes.
Our month long series of Summer Comfort Food will be introducing a plethora of dishes from starters, main dishes and desserts. But who said breakfast can’t be comforting? In fact, one of the best comfort foods is breakfast for dinner.
To start the week we’re sharing a special seasonal dish that utilizes the season’s best fruits. Note that you can use any variety of fruits and berries you wish.
Pancakes on a weekday is not something you see everyday in my house. It’s a rare and wonderful treat.
That said, as part of our Summer Comfort series, we’re sharing dishes that are good for the soul which includes the unexpected.
These pancakes aren’t difficult to whip up either. It is a quick batter that cooks easily on a hot griddle with just a pat of butter.
These pancakes are made complete with a sweet sauce of Boysenberry jam and simmered down fruit.
Topped with a simple drizzle of syrup or honey, this summery dish is perfect any time of day!
Living the Gourmet
10 minPrep Time
8 minCook Time
18 minTotal Time
- 1½ cups flour – sifted
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 tbs. sugar
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 egg
- 3 tbs. melted butter – then cooled slightly
- 1¼ cups milk
- Powdered sugar for dusting
- Maple Syrup or Honey for drizzling
- 3 peaches – peeled and sliced into wedges
- 1½ cups of fresh blueberries
- 3 – 4 tsp. of your favorite jam
- 2 tbs. sugar
- 2 – 3 tbs. butter
- Sift the flour with the sugar, salt and baking powder into a large bowl.
- In a small bowl beat the egg; while slowly adding the butter and milk mixture.
- Stir the wet ingredients into the flour mixture.
- Heat a griddle with a pat of butter and ladle the batter onto the hot griddle.
- Cook about 2 – 3 minutes, turning the pancakes only once; continue cooking on the other side another side until the pancake is done.
- Heat a large cast iron frying pan with the butter and add the fruit.
- Sprinkle the fruit with the sugar.
- Add the jam and gently move the fruit around to incorporate the jam around the fruit.
- Let simmer on a low heat while preparing the pancakes.
Enjoy with Love!