If you're looking for a quick and easy way to turn an ordinary chicken dinner into something extraordinary, then these oven-baked chicken legs, paired with with a chili garlic BBQ sauce, are just the thing. The combination of sweet and spicy chili garlic BBQ sauce with juicy, tender chicken is absolutely irresistible.
The chili garlic BBQ sauce is the star of the show here, offering just the right amount of heat without overwhelming the delicate flavors of the chicken. The sauce is a combination of sweet and spicy, making it the perfect accompaniment to the juicy chicken.
This recipe is easy to make and can be prepared ahead of time, making it perfect for summer cookouts. It’s also a great option for a weeknight meal. Simply marinate the chicken overnight and then pop it in the oven the next day, and you’ll have a delicious dinner that the whole family will love.
So if you're looking for an easy, delicious meal that's sure to please the whole family, give this oven-baked chicken legs with chili garlic BBQ sauce a try. Read on for an ingredient checklist, pairing suggestions, and a printable recipe card.
- Chicken Legs: The meat of the recipe, though thighs or white meat will also work, as would pork.
- Scallions: Purely for garnish, bringing a nice bright green color to the finished product.
- Honey: Your preferred honey is all we’re looking for here. It adds a sweetness and balance to the chili garlic BBQ sauce.
- Fish Sauce: This adds a salty, umami flavor to the sauce. If you don’t have fish sauce, you can use soy sauce instead.
- Chili Paste / Chili Garlic Sauce: This spicy sauce adds a kick of flavor to the dish. If you don’t have chili garlic sauce, you can substitute with sriracha or your favorite hot sauce.
- Sugar: A little sugar helps to balance out the flavors of the sauce. You can substitute with coconut sugar if desired.
- Apple Cider Vinegar: This adds a tangy note to the sauce. If you don’t have apple cider vinegar, you can use white vinegar instead.
- Salt: Don’t forget the salt! A pinch of salt helps to bring out the flavors of the sauce.
- Sesame Oil: Sesame oil adds an earthy and nutty flavor to the sauce. You can substitute with olive oil if desired.
- Black Pepper: Pre-ground is fine, but I do recommend using freshly ground for best results.
- Sesame Seeds: Mostly for garnish, though they do add a nutty flavor and crunchy texture to the dish.
- Light Red Wine. A light-bodied red such as a Pinot Noir or Grenache would pair nicely with this recipe. The bright fruit flavors and subtle tannins of the wine can help to balance out the sweetness and heat of the chili garlic BBQ sauce. A glass of white wine such as a Sauvignon Blanc or Riesling would also pair nicely, as the crisp acidity of the wine can help to cut through the richness of the sauce.
- Broccoli and Rice Salad. This Broccoli and Rice Salad with Balsamic Maple Vinaigrette is the perfect way to celebrate the season – it’s easy to make, requires minimal ingredients, and is packed full of flavor and texture. Plus, it’s incredibly versatile and pairs perfectly with almost any main dish. Whether you’re making a meat, poultry, or vegetarian main course, this salad is sure to be a hit.
- Sautéed Broccoli Rabe & Peppers with Breadcrumbs. Broccoli rabe has been one of my favorite vegetables since forever. It makes for a delicious pasta, as well as a great ‘traditional’ topper for an Italian bread sandwich, while also pairing deliciously with homemade flatbreads and crostini. It’s complex and ‘domineering’ enough to be the star of the show in pasta recipes, while holding its own more than well enough to serve as a side to steaks or roasts, especially where ‘Italian themed’ flavors are being put front and center.
Oven Baked Chicken Legs with Chili Garlic Sauce
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Yield: 4-6 servings 1x
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Bake
- 10-12 Chicken legs
- Scallions, for garnish
For the Chili Garlic Sauce:
- 2 tbs. honey
- 2 tsp. fish sauce
- 1 tbs. Chili garlic sauce
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. sesame oil
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 1 tsp. sesame seeds
For the Chili Garlic Sauce:
- Combine all of the ingredients for the sauce in a small bowl and stir.
- NOTE: I made three batches of this sauce. One to toss with the raw chicken legs; a second batch to coat the chicken legs half way through cooking; and a third batch to serve for dipping.
For the Chicken Legs:
- Preheat Oven 350 degrees F.
- Toss the raw chicken legs with the Chili garlic sauce.
- Place the chicken legs in a large cast iron frying pan and place in the oven. Do not overcrowd the pan. You may need to use two pans.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove the chicken legs from the oven and brush with the second batch of sauce and return to the oven for 25-30 minutes.
- The internal temperature of the legs should be 165 degrees Fahrenheit. The cooking time also depends on the size of the chicken legs.
- Remove from the oven and serve with extra Chili garlic sauce and garnish with scallions.
Keywords: chicken legs. chili sauce, spicy, sweet, asian cuisine
And that’s my Oven Baked Chicken Legs with Chili Garlic BBQ Sauce. If you enjoyed today’s recipe, be sure to like, share, and subscribe so that you never miss a post. It helps more than you can know!
Also, if have you have any questions or suggestions, be sure to let me know in the comments. I love hearing from you. Happy Cooking!0
David J Myers says
Catherine, We love chili garlic BBQ sauce...homemade, Korean, of Thai varieties...all good. Great with baked chicken! Take Care, Big Daddy Dave
Whitney Stewart says
One word; YUM! This looks and sounds absolutely amazing! I’ll definitely be trying this out before too long! Thanks so much for sharing!
Lavanda Michelle says
Oh my goodness, this looks and sounds absolutely delicious! I'm already imagining the taste and can't wait to try it out myself. Thank you so much for sharing this wonderful recipe with us, I'm excited to give it a go!
Luna S says
They look like they are packed with flavor! I like the idea of adding sliced up green onions, will have to try this out on some boneless chicken.
Eileen M Loya says
It is the sauce that made this dish so wonderful. I tried this with pork chops and it came out delicious! Will never get tired of making this for my family. They love having it often.
These chicken legs cook quickly and are especially good served with white rice. I loved them.
Oh, I cannot wait to try these baked chicken legs. The chili sauce is something great to look forward to as well.
Your oven-baked chicken legs with chili garlic sauce recipe looks absolutely delicious. I'm curious to know, how spicy is the sauce and do you have any recommendations for sides to pair with this dish? Thank you for sharing!
Melissa Cushing says
These look and sound really delicious! I love the sauce addition to this and I know it has to be so yummy and flavorful! Pinning this one so thank you for sharing!
These look so good, and the chili garlic sauce sounds wonderful!