Crispy Peanut Butter cookies are speckled with milk chocolate covered M&M’s Peanut for a sweet and nutty melt-in-your-mouth treat!
Happiness is defined by Rousseau, albeit somewhat tongue in cheek, as simply a good digestion, a good bank account, and a good cook. Given my profession, which is equal parts critic, sommelier, and self-taught cook, this is something I must wholeheartedly ascribe to – even if somewhat cynically.
One of the hallmarks so far this season, albeit somewhat unintentionally, has been a focus on the fresh and the new, which ties right into that definition of happiness. It happens that way each spring here at Living the Gourmet since we kick off season each year with a pair of birthdays, my own and my daughter’s. As a result, we have two excellent excuses to keep the party going from the start of March right through April, meaning seasonal desserts and plenty of our favorite spring dishes are always on hand.
However, in-between plating for photos, and crowd favorite desserts for our birthday parties, such as our recently posted Grain Cake, one of my own personal favorites is something a few magnitudes simpler.
For example, on relaxed mornings, or as a treat after a rushed breakfast, something as simple as a fresh baked peanut butter cookie can be precisely what I’m looking for to set a favorable tone for the day. Especially during busy seasons such as this, taking little moments for oneself can help keep that all important balance between work, stress, and maintaining one’s basic humanity.
That said today’s recipe couldn’t be simpler. With a base of basic brown sugar and peanut butter, enhanced with vanilla extract and a copious helping of Peanut M&M’s for crunch and texture, these are a seasonal delight that I love having on hand.
Living the Gourmet
Yields 2 dozen
5 minPrep Time
10 minCook Time
15 minTotal Time
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1/2 cup butter - softened
- 1 egg
- 11/2 cup flour
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 3/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup of M&M’s Peanut - chopped
- Preheat Oven 350 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl mix the vanilla, brown sugar, white sugar, butter and the egg with an electric mixer; add the peanut butter and mix gently.
- In a separate bowl sift the flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder. Add the dry ingredients to the peanut butter mixture and gently mix; stir in the chopped M&M’s Peanut.
- Form the dough into a ball and place in plastic wrapping. Refrigerate the dough for one to two hours.
- Form the dough into 1 1/2 inch balls and place on un-greased cookie sheets. Gently press each cookie down with a fork in both directions.
- Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until slightly golden on the edges.
- Let cookies cool for a minute on the cookie sheet then place on a cooling rack.
Check this delicious recipe on how to make your own Peanut Butter! It’s easier than you think and so good for you too!
Enjoy with Love!