This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #BakeInTheFun #CollectiveBias
As fall quickly approaches, it’s time to break out those warm cozy sweaters and comforting down-home recipes. Today, we are sharing a warm spiced latte accompanied by stick cookies that are fun, easy to make, and covered in M&M’s® chocolate.
With each year, it seems the days pass more quickly than the year before.
We’ve all heard the saying that with age comes wisdom, and while I’ve certainly met my share of elders that have roundly disproven that assertion, I will say that the older I myself get the more I learn to appreciate the little things life has to offer, even if they all seem to be passing a tad quicker with each season’s end, as if time were building momentum on its deathly journey around the clock.
Or at least that’s how I’ve felt watching the days grow shorter, the summer sun finding its rest a little earlier each day, its golden rays slipping through my fingers, not unlike the final sprays of sea water at the end of a long day at the beach as the sunlit heat fades into the cool of the starlit evening glow. Watching the sun sink into the sea is not unlike the onset of autumn, our eyes scan the darkening sands of the wave lashed shore, and we realize we’re just not yet ready to let go as images of all that we’ve left to do dance in the reflections of our eyes like summer ghosts.
It is with that sentiment in mind that you may be surprised to learn that autumn is actually my favorite season.
After all, cozy fires, brisk walks in warm sweaters, and spiced lattes just don’t bear quite the same touch in the summer heat. Add to that the fact that many of things I enjoy doing most in the summer I can in the autumn, such as ny trips to the apple orchards or vineyards, and town festivals.
Another thing I am looking forward to this season is using my oven again! It’s been on a prolonged rest these last couple of weeks.
We had a small break in the tempertures last week, which allowed me a day to get some good quality baking in.
I made a quick run up to Walmart and picked up a few of my favorite fall products to accompany the new M&M’s® Pecan Pie and the M&M’s® Milk Chocolate Harvest.
Once home, I started on the cookie sticks. As you know, I am a fan of cake mix cookies because they are perfect in a pinch.
I added Mott’s® Apple Juice, eggs and flour to a box of Pillsbury™ Moist Supreme® Cake Mix and rolled the mixture into a soft cookie dough. I shaped the dough into sticks, and dipped them first in milk, then crushed M&M’s® Milk Chocolate Harvest. The result was a thin biscotti-like cookie fun and perfect for dipping, a nice side to a cool class of Snapple® Apple!
However, no cookie of this high caliber is complete without something hot and delicious to dip it in.
With the new M&M’s® Pecan Pie, I was inspired to create a pecan pie spiced latte.
Making your own latte is easier than you think. I made a spice blend of cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, brown sugar and a pinch of black pepper which I melted down with the M&M’s® Pecan Pie. After blending warm milk and vanilla, to create that classic latte foam, I put up a pot of strong coffee. Espresso coffee would work perfectly.
At the bottom of each coffee cup, I put a spoonful of the spiced chocolate mixture and poured the hot coffee over it. To complete it, I added the frothed milk and a dollop of fresh whipped cream.
I don’t know about you, but I am now very much looking forward to the fall and I will welcome the cooler weather with open arms.
So what does fall mean to you? What are some of your favorite activities and what do you look forward to the most?
Share your thoughts below, and don’t forget to pick up the new M&M’s® Pecan Pie, M&M’s® Milk Chocolate Harvest and M&M’s® Peanut Harvest that are now available at Walmart. Save now and clip your coupon for any two 9.4 oz. or larger M&M’s® chocolate candies!
Living the Gourmet
10 minPrep Time
15 minCook Time
10 minTotal Time
- 1 box of Pillsbury™ Moist Supreme® Cake Mix (I used Classic Yellow)
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup Mott's® Apple Juice
- 3/4 cup of flour
- 1/2 cup of M&M's® Milk Chocolate Harvest – crushed
- 1/4 cup of milk
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 2 shots espresso or very strong coffee
- 3 tablespoons M&M's® Pecan Pie
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 tablespoons brown sugar
- Pinch of black pepper
- Fresh Whipped Cream
- Preheat Oven 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl combine the cake mix and flour; add the eggs and apple juice and mix.
- On a floured surface knead until a dough is formed.
- Set two shallow bowls; one with the crushed M&M's® and one with the milk.
- On a floured surface slice pieces of the dough and roll into long sticks. Dip the dough sticks into the milk and then roll in the crushed M&M's®.
- Place on a prepared cookie sheet.
- Bake 12 – 15 minutes or until slightly golden.
- Melt M&M's® Pecan Pie with cinnamon, nutmeg, brown sugar and black pepper. Set aside.
- In a saucepan, warm milk and vanilla- heat until warm to the touch. Pour into a blender and mix until foamy.
- Add 1 tablespoons spiced chocolate mixture per coffee cup. Add hot coffee and stir until the chocolate is melted. Add frothed milk and cream and serve immediately.
Enjoy with Love,