This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #BakeInTheFun #CollectiveBias
Come fall in love with this rich, gooey seasonal classic served alongside a simple spiced apple cider.
I can’t help the feeling that just when all my summertime dreams seem to be taking shape, the days begin growing shorter, the hastening sunsets ushering in the night’s dark over my sunlit plans as if a final curtain call were being signaled each evening just a tad too early.
As the number of plastic ghouls and cardboard undead began growing across the store shelves, family cookouts begin growing less across the calendar until the fall chill is entirely unavoidable, and the grill is reluctantly set aside for the year’s remainder.
Yet, as the month dedicated to Rome’s first Emperor draws to a close, I find myself more and more welcoming of autumn’s unofficial rituals, such as marking the changing of the leaves while gradually acclimating to the chilling air. Then of course there’s the annual sport of openly lamenting the short days that we somehow never truly learn to accept.
However, as I have noted in previous posts, pumpkin spice lattes never taste quite the same when sipped beneath the sun of an over-long summer day, and one can’t forget fall’s signature candy corns that serve as a sort of seasonal consolation prize for chilled air. Yet, despite my predisposition towards the candy variety of corn, it was during a supply run to my local Walmart that I noticed the rollover special on M&M’s® – one of my absolute favorites. Ironically, this season the new M&M’s® Milk Chocolate Harvest, M&M’s® Peanut Harvest, and M&M’s® Pecan Pie will be available at Walmart so be sure to pick up a bag while your out and try the season’s newest favorite!
So with that in mind, the M&M’s® Pecan Pie was the inspiration for today’s fall themed dessert – a Pecan Pie enhanced with M&M’s® candies.
While traditional pecan pie is one my family’s favorites, especially in the fall months, I decided to do a bit of a test run this time around with something a bit out of the ordinary. To begin, I added an assortment of M&M’s® to the pie filling, for an added dash of sweetness and an emphasis on the pecan flavor from the M&M’s® Pecan Pie.
I also decided to try something new for the crust, using Pillsbury™ Most Supreme® Cake Mix to ensure a soft, almost cookie-like texture. While that baked, I put together some fresh whipped cream, and tied it all together with a Snapple® Apple as a sort of exclamation point on today’s fall theme.
Needless to say, the pecan pie turned out exactly as I had hoped, embodying fall flavors, with a slant towards the fun and the playful courtesy of the M&M’s®, while the Pillsbury™ gave the crust exactly the texture and consistency I had envisioned, the moist base perfectly complementing the pie filling.
Chocolate Pecan PieSpiced Apple Cider
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 25 minutes
- Yield: 3 1x
Cake Mix Crust:
- 1 box of Pillsbury™ Moist Supreme® Cake Mix (I used the classic yellow cake)
- 6 tbs. butter – softened
- 1 cup oats
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup Mott’s® Apple Juice
- Flour for dusting
Chocolate Pecan Filling:
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1/2 tbs. flour
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 tbs. vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 cups chopped pecans
- 1 cup of M&M’s® Milk Chocolate
- 2 cups Mott’s® Apple Juice
- 1 cup Snapple® Apple
- 1 apple, sliced
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 star anise
Cake Mix Crust:
- Preheat Oven 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl combine the cake mix, oats, and butter; mix until crumbly. Make a well in the center and add the apple juice; combine to form a dough and form into a ball.
- Dust a clean surface with flour and roll out the dough and to fit a nine inch pie plate or tart pan.
- Poke the bottom the pie plate with a fork and bake the crust for 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool.
Chocolate Pecan Filling:
- Place the M&M’s® in a food processor and process until almost smooth.
- Place the eggs in a food processor and beat on medium speed.
- Add the sugar, vanilla, corn syrup, flour and salt to the eggs and continue to beat.
- To the mixer add the M&M’s®, chopped pecans and butter and mix well.
- Pour into the cooled pie crust.
- Bake 45 – 50 minutes or until set.
- Let cool and serve with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
- In a small saucepan, bring all of the ingredients to a simmer over medium-low heat.
- Remove from heat and serve!
- Serving Size: 1
That was our take on a traditional favorite, what are some of the ways you’ll be kicking up your seasonal favorites? What are some of the things you do to help get into the autumn spirit? I would love to hear from you! Don’t forget to print your coupon and save on your next M&M’s®purchase!
If You Enjoyed Today’s Recipe…
Be sure to follow us on Instagram to stay up to date with all things Living the Gourmet, and for more great recipes, tips and tricks.
Did you make this recipe?
If so, let me know in the comments down below, or post a picture to Instagram, or to Pinterest, and I’ll give you a shoutout on Instagram, or post your pin to one of my Pinterest boards!
Enjoy with Love!1