This Rock n’ Roll Bunt is a traditional English Rocky Road that includes marshmallows, chocolate, biscuits (cookies), dried fruit and nuts.
For this month’s #BundtBakers, our wonderful host and dear fried, Laura of Baking in Pyjamas instructed us to get creative with a traditional English Rocky Road.
I have never had a traditional English Rocky Road prior to this, but I am certain I will be making this bundt many times over.
The texture resembles that of a Babka cake, while the flavor is rich with chocolate and coffee. I swirled the Rocky Road mixture throughout the batter, then topped it off with more of the Rocky Road.
This bundt does not last long. Within one afternoon, half of it was gone. I may even have to say, it is one of my favorite bundts to date.
Enjoy it for dessert, or have a little slice in the morning with coffee – it’s a wonderful cake.
Thank you Laura, for hosting such a wonderful month of #BundtBakers!Print
Rock n’ Roll Rocky Road Budnt
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 8-10 1x
- 2 1/2 cups All-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup instant coffee powder
- 4 oz. apple sauce
- 1/2 cup canola oil
Rocky Road Mixture:
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup pecans
- 3 tbs. butter
- 1/2 cup crushed cookies (i.e. vanilla butter cookies – about 10 cookies)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup mini marshmallows
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
Rocky Road Mixture:
- In a food processor combine the raisins, pecans, butter, cookies, brown sugar and marshmallows; process until combined well.
- Preheat Oven 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl combine the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder and instant coffee powder.
- In a separate bowl combine the buttermilk, apple sauce, canola oil, vanilla and eggs. Using an electric mixer, mix the wet ingredients and slowly incorporate the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, stirring while adding; beat with the electric mixer on a low speed after the wet ingredients have been incorporated.
- Prepare a bundt pan; rubbing all the sides and bottom with butter.
- Stir the chocolate chips into the batter.
- Pour the batter into the prepared bundt pan.
- Drop the Rocky Road mixture by spoonfuls over the batter. Using a knife cut through the batter; incorporating the mixture into the batter.
- Bake for 45 – 50 minutes or until the toothpick test comes out clean.
- Let the cake rest and cool before trying to remove from the pan.
#BundtBakers is a group of Bundt loving bakers who get together once a month to bake Bundts with a common ingredient or theme.
Follow our Pinterest board right here. Links are also updated each month on the BundtBakers home page.
- Almond, Blueberry & White Chocolate Rocky Road Bundt by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Biscoff & Chocolate Rocky Road Bundt Cake by Spice Roots
- Blueberry Pecan Cocoa Ripple Cake by Magnolia Days
- Brownie Style Rocky Road Bundt Cake by Basic N Delicious
- Cheery Cherry Rocky Road Bundt Cake by Our Good Life
- Cherry Chocolate Walnut Bundt by Noshing with the Nolands
- Chocolate Toffee Rocky Road Bundt Cake by The Chef Next Door
- Chocolate Chip Bundt with Rocky Road Topping by Baking & Creating with Avril
- Culture Confusion Rocky Road Bundt by Food Lust People Love
- Fantasy Rocky Road Bundt Cake by Los Chatos Chefs
- Elvis on a Rocky Road Bundt by It’s Yummi
- Marshmallow Drenched Rocky Road Bundt Cake by Making Miracles
- Mini Rocky Road Bundts with Marshmallow Frosting by Passion Kneaded
- Nutty Chocolate Banana Bundt Cake by The Freshman Cook
- Not Just For Ice Cream Rocky Road Bundt by Tea and Scones
- Rock n’ Roll Rocky Road Bundt by Living the Gourmet
- Rocky Road Bundt Cake by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Rocky Road Bundt Cake by I Love Bundt Cakes
- Rocky Road Bundt Cake by Kids and Chic
- Rocky Road Bundt Cake by Liv For Cake
- Rocky Road Bundt Cake with Marshmallow Glaze by Brooklyn Homemaker
- Rocky Road Fudge Bundt Cake by La Cocina De Aisha
- Rum Rocky Road Bundt Cake by Adventures in All Things Food
- S’more Rocky Road Bundt Cake by Baking in Pyjamas
- Strawberry Rocky Road Bundt Cake by Recipes, Food and Cooking
- Toasted Chocolate Almond Bundt Cake by Eat, Drink and Be Mighty
- Triple Chocolate Rocky Road Bundt Cake by Simply Veggies
Enjoy with Love,
**DON’T FORGET TO ENTER OUR GIVEAWAY TO WIN A $25 VISA GIFTCARD!!!1
Petro Neagu says
Catherine, it’s always a great pleasure to visit your site and scroll through your delicious recipes! I don’t think there’s any I don’t like, they’re all fabulous, same as this amazing cake. I wish I’d have such great baking/cooking skills as you. Hugs, my dear friend.
I can see why it disappeared so quickly. What a rich chocolatey cake! And you’ve included my favorite nut.
What a great way to incorporate the rocky road ingredients into the cake. Swirls of it – brilliant.
Becca from It's Yummi! says
Catherine, your bundt is beautiful! I love the swirl of flavors inside the cake.
June @ How to Philosophize with Cake says
Looks like a wonderful cake! Rocky road is awesome, so I’m sure it makes a great cake 🙂
Love it with that topping… It looks delicious 🙂
Comedy Plus says
I took a piece and had it with my coffee this morning. It’s fabulous.
Have a terrific day honey. Big hugs. ♥♥♥
Terri Steffes says
Gorgeous cake. You did well with the English rocky road style. I am in love with your photographs, too.
Love the components of this cake.Divine
Ginny Hartzler says
I also love your placemat, towel, and beautiful plates.
Tara Noland says
The only word to describe this bundt is YUMMY!!! Nicely done!!
That is one sensational bundt cake! Love it!
I can see why this would be a favorite. The texture looks so moist and wonderful! I would of course pick the top clean – naughty me!!
delicious cake with this topping
Jerry E. Beuterbaugh says
Quite simply, YUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Tux | Brooklyn Homemaker says
Good golly this cake looks phenomenal! You had me at babka!
I love the way the rocky road mixture makes it look like a crumb topping!
You completely out did yourself Catherine with this cake! I am so impressed with how you made such a fantastic ROCKY ROAD filling and added it to a decadent cake. Just beautiful! – and delicious looking too!!
Medha @ Whisk & Shout says
Definitely an appropriate title for this awesome cake! Lovely photos too. Pinning 🙂
Olivia @ livforcake says
This cake looks stunning and packed with so many goodies! Awesome name too 🙂
[email protected] Baking in Pyjamas says
Wow, what an delicious crumbly cake. What a brilliant idea of incorporating the rocky mixture into a streusel like mixture, I’d love a slice right now and it’s only 9.20am!
Arman @ thebigmansworld says
SUCH a great and fun idea! Rocky road falvours in a cake? Genius!
[email protected] Her Looking Glass says
Catherine, what a fabulous bundt cake. No wonder it was half gone in one afternoon. The topping looks out of this world, will have to try this. Have a fabulous Memorial Day with your dear family!
Wendy, A Day in the Life on the Farm says
I would love a slice with my coffee right now, it looks wonderful Catherine.
Manila Spoon says
Wow and wow again! This cake looks totally scrumptious! I had an instant craving when I saw it! Pinned.
I love bundt cakes Catherine and this look stunning!!!
Hugs to Tammy:))
Dottie Sauchelli-Balin says
Rocky Road Bundt Cake, super, recipe and this cake looks outstanding! I wish I had a piece right now..that topping of Rocky Road is filled with the best ingredients and fun. What a wonderful cake I just printed this out and I must try this as everyone loves Rocky Road. Thanks for sharing…I hope that you and your family has a fun and fabulous Memorial Day weekend. Blessing for our freedom…
This looks so delicious! I like baking bundt cakes best because they are so easy and usually so thick and full of good things. The only kind of chocolate cake I will eat is a bundt. Pinned this!
[email protected] Freshman Cook says
How beautiful! I love that you used instant coffee and raisins, and that topping~YUM!
It does look so moist, so delicious…
Alyssa @ My Sequined Life says
Catherine this bundt cake looks incredible! I love the addition of the instant coffee powder and the rocky road mixture includes some of my favorites! This cake wouldn’t stick around my house for long!
Alta e soffice, una torta golosissima e tanto invitante!
[email protected] says
What a gorgeous cake! What a delicious combo of ingredients. I wish I had a huge chunk of it right now!
Oh my Goodness! That looks amazing with that topping.
Swirls of Rocky Road? Sounds heavenly!