It feels as though winter has finally set in.
These blustery days are accompanied by gray skies and cold rainfalls.
My daughter and I were just saying how our bodies have hit the ‘hibernation’ phase. It’s a real effort to get out of the house these days.
Nights are the best. They are cozy and warm with smell of the crisp night air.
Inside, there is a hearty sauce simmering down, tossed with sauteed yellow squash, a nice pasta and a sprinkle of basil and cheese, nothing quite compares to a nice plate of this.
Yields serves 6
5 minPrep Time
50 minCook Time
55 minTotal Time
- 6-7 yellow squash – peeled and sliced
- 7 – 8 Italian sausage links
- 3-4 cloves of garlic – chopped
- 1 red onion – sliced
- ¼ cup Italian parsley – chopped fine
- ¼ cup fresh basil – chopped
- ¾ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. black pepper
- ¼ tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 2 cups crushed tomatoes
- 1½ cups water
- 1 lb. of your favorite pasta
- Fresh grated Parmesan cheese or Romano
- Olive oil for drizzling
- Fresh basil garnish
- Canola oil for sautéing
- Heat a large frying pan and add the sausage links. Cook until golden on the outside and cooked through; set aside.
- Heat a large frying pan with 2 tablespoons olive oil. Add the squash, onions and garlic and sauté until the garlic is fragrant and the onions soften; add the seasonings.
- Add the basil and parsley and toss. Add the crushed tomatoes and water and simmer for at least 35 – 40 minutes. Cut the sausage and add to the sauce while it is simmering. Taste the sauce to adjust the seasonings.
- Prepare the pasta as directed.
- Plate the pasta and drizzle with olive oil, chopped fresh basil, a dash of red pepper flakes and oregano. Top with the sauce and fresh grated Romano or Parmesan cheese.
Enjoy with Love,