Crunchy. Crispy. Cheesy. These homemade crackers are irresistibly flavorful and super simple to make. Today we’re saying goodbye to store-bought blandness and embracing the delicious simplicity of Cheesy Herb Crackers – a delightful snack that’s accessible to home chefs of all skill levels.
To make these crackers, we're using a base of rich parmesan cheese, which harmonizes beautifully with our earthy herb ensemble of thyme and rosemary, along with a generous dash of freshly grated black pepper. The result? A cracker that’s crisp on the outside, crumbly on the inside, and whose unmistakable savory flavor is a true delight.
What sets this recipe apart is it embraces simplicity without compromise. Whether you're a seasoned kitchen virtuoso or a culinary novice, the ease of crafting these crackers is your ticket to homemade deliciousness.
The real allure, however, begins with the pairing possibilities. Picture them alongside a velvety brie, or as wine crackers, or as the bread to a charcuterie board. Conversely, they’re also delicious dipped in hummus or paired with a vegetable dip.
So, my dear readers, I invite you to read on. Below we’ll be providing you with an ingredient checklist to make sure you have everything you’ll need, we’ll also be covering some pairing suggestions, and of course, we’ll also be providing you with a printable recipe card.
Ready your aprons, and let's make some homemade crackers because store-bought just doesn’t cut it anymore.
Cheesy Homemade Crackers – An Overview
But first an overview of what you can expect from the crackers made from this recipe.
- Type of Crackers: This recipe yields flavorful and aromatic Cheesy Herbed Crackers that are crisp and flaky on the outside, but soft and crumbly on the inside. These crackers have a rich parmesan cheese base with the added kick of ground thyme and rosemary. They are savory and perfect for those who enjoy a cheese-forward and herb-infused cracker.
- Taste and Texture: The crackers have a crisp and crumbly texture, making them ideal for snacking. The combination of parmesan, thyme, and rosemary creates a savory and herbaceous flavor profile. The addition of black pepper adds a subtle kick, enhancing the overall taste.
- Pairing Suggestions:
- These homemade crackers pair well with a variety of accompaniments. Consider serving them alongside:
- Soft cheeses like brie or camembert.
- Creamy dips such as hummus or spinach-artichoke dip.
- Charcuterie or cured meats.
- Fruit preserves or chutneys for a bit of sweet contrast.
- Wine or cocktails to create a sophisticated appetizer.
- Shelf Life and Storage: When stored in an airtight container, these crackers can last for up to two weeks. Ensure they are kept in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight to maintain their crispness. If you want to prolong their freshness, you can store them in the refrigerator.
- Difficulty Level: This recipe is relatively straightforward and suitable for home chefs, including beginners. The use of a food processor simplifies the blending process, and the dough is easy to work with. The key is to gradually add the ice water until the desired consistency is achieved. The baking time is short, making it a manageable project for those new to baking.
Ingredient Checklist – Everything You’ll Need:
This recipe calls for only the simplest of ingredients. Here’s everything you’ll need.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- Note: For a gluten-free alternative, consider using a gluten-free flour blend.
- 3/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Tip: Opt for freshly grated parmesan for enhanced flavor.
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Substitution: Adjust salt quantity based on personal preference or consider using sea salt for added depth. This is one recipe where I would recommend using a fancy gourmet salt if you have it.
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Note: Freshly ground black pepper is recommended for optimal taste.
- 1 teaspoon ground thyme
- Tip: Experiment with fresh thyme for a more vibrant flavor profile.
- 1 teaspoon ground rosemary
- Substitution: Fresh rosemary can be a delightful alternative, finely chopped.
- 1/2 cup cold unsalted butter, cubed
- Tip: Keep butter cubes chilled until ready to use for a flakier texture.
- 1/2 cup ice water
- Note: Add water gradually. You don’t want the dough to become too moist.
Pairing Ideas for Cheesy Herbed Crackers:
- Soft and Creamy Cheeses:
- Suggestions: Brie, camembert, or a triple-cream cheese. The mild and creamy texture will beautifully complement these herb-infused crackers.
- Herb-infused Dips:
- Ideas: Pair these crackers with a homemade herbed cream cheese or a spinach and artichoke dip. The shared herbaceous notes will create a delightful harmony.
- Cured Meats:
- Options: Prosciutto, salami, or thinly sliced chorizo. The savory and salty profiles of cured meats will contrast well with the savory richness of the crackers.
- Wine and Spirits:
- Pairing: Serve with a crisp Sauvignon Blanc or a light Pinot Noir. For a non-alcoholic option, consider a sparkling water infused with citrus.
- Fresh Fruits:
- Recommendations: Slices of apple or pear. The natural sweetness and crunch of the fruits balance the savory and cheesy elements of the crackers.
- Gourmet Spreads:
- Try fig jam, raw honey, or a balsamic reduction. These will add a touch of sweetness and sophistication to each bite.
- Vegetable Crudité:
- Include cherry tomatoes, cucumber slices, or colorful bell pepper strips. The freshness of vegetables will provide a refreshing contrast to savory crackers.
And those are our Cheesy Herbed Homemade Crackers. If you enjoyed today’s recipe, or have any questions or suggestions, be sure to let us know in the comments below, we always love hearing from you.