This post has been sponsored by Plugrá. All opinions expressed are my own.
Buttery shortbread cookies are speckled with shards of bitter-sweet chocolate and Saigon cinnamon for a deliciously complex treat that pairs perfectly with tea or coffee.
A few posts back I discussed the importance of using butter in pie crusts. The same rule applies to cookies, particularly, shortbread.
Shortbread is one of the most concise cookies you could possibly make, therefore it's important to use quality ingredients for a truly exceptional end result. Since butter is the base of this recipe, I used Plugrá Premium Butter because of its slow-churn and extra creaminess. It offers a tender, crisp cookie like none other.
In addition to Plugrá, I also used Valrhona artisan chocolate for a bitter sweet balance, Madagascar Bourbon Pure Vanilla Extract, and what has become my new favorite addition to my spice cabinet- Vietnamese “Saigon” Cinnamon from The Spice House.
The recipe comes together quickly and what's more is the dough can be made ahead of time and stored in the freezer until ready to bake.
You want a nice chilled dough to slice into and if you fancy, a sprinkle of turbinado sugar is the perfect finishing touch to these sweet biscuits.
The end result is not only a tender melt-in-your-mouth cookie, but a symphony of flavors that meld into something complex and delicious.Print
Chocolate Shard Shortbreads
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Inactive Prep Time: 1 hour
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Yield: 2 dozen cookies 1x
- Category: Dessert
- 8 tablespoons Plugrá® Butter
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1 1/4 cup AP flour
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup Valrhona Chocolate, chopped
- 1 teaspoon Vietnamese “Saigon” Cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon Nielsen-Massey Madagascar Bourbon Pure Vanilla Extract
- Pinch of salt
- Turbinado sugar, for sprinkling
- In the bowl of a stand-mixer, combine butter and sugar and beat on low speed until incorporated. Add the egg and vanilla and beat again until whipped.
- Add the flour, pinch of salt, and cinnamon. Mix on low speed until a soft dough comes together. Add the chopped chocolate and pulse until the chocolate is just incorporated.
- Turn the dough out onto a sheet of clingfilm and shape into a 12-inch log. Allow to chill in the refrigerator for at least an hour before baking.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Slice 1/2-inch thick slices and place on the prepared baking sheets, at least one inch apart. Bake for about 10 minutes until the cookies are lightly golden around the edges.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool. Serve & Enjoy!
Keywords: dessert, cookies, shortbread, chocolate
Shortbread cookies are so delicious. This version can be enjoyed all year long. Perfect for every occasion or holiday.
Any recipe with the word "shard" in it is my kind of dish. I loved the combination of dark chocolate and buttery shortbread. I'll definitely be making these again and again.
Amanda Mason says
I love a good shortbread recipe and using quality butter is essential! I'm excited to make these! I've never made shortbread so this will be a good challenge for me and I can't WAIT to try this butter!!
These shortbread cookies look delicious! I love a good shortbread cookie, always so yummy! Excited to give these a try!
Sandhya Ramakrishnan says
We love shortbread cookies and this with chocolate will be an absolute blast in our house. I am making the dough as I type and it already looks delicious.
DAVID J MYERS says
Catherine, We both love shortbread and the same goes for chocolate. Love the more exotic ingredients that you use. I'm sure that they add to the overall taste and complexity of these cookies. Take Care, Big Daddy Dave
Kayla DiMaggio says
Yum! I would have never thought to mix chocolate and shortbread before but this was super delicious! I couldn't get enough!
Veronika Sykorova says
I agree, using a good quality butter is so important, you can always taste the difference! Made these last night and they turned out amazing!
Dennis Littley says
I've been using plugra for as long as I can remember and they made your cookie recipe perfectly!
These shortbread cookies are delicious and flavorful! I loved the chocolate shreds and cinnamon.
Amy Nash says
These cookies were delicious! Not only is the texture fantastic, but we loved the combo of cinnamon and chocolate in the buttery base.