This simple, sweet summer cake is infused with warm golden honey, aromatic dried lavender and sweet vanilla. Inspired by the classic novel, The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett, this is our Lavender and Honey Bundt.
“If you look the right way, you can see that the whole world is a garden.”
When Sue of Palatable Pastime announced this month’s theme of #BundtBakers would be The Secret Garden, I was giddy with excitement.
The Secret Garden was one of the first novels I had learned to read on my own. It was, to me, the original Harry Potter.
Its pages enchanted my childhood and sent my imagination soaring. It revealed to me through its delicate pages and fancifully crafted lines, the beauty of the world around me.
Those childish wonders still live on in my heart.
This summer day started with pure gold pouring in through my window between the lace curtains and twinkling trinkets hung across the pane.
The dazzling morning light was washed across the walls and I was blessed to be greeted by such beauty.
I wandered downstairs to get started my list of daily chores when I came to realize that not only were we celebrating my aunt’s birthday but #BundtBakers was due the following day.
I prepped my work space beside the bay windows overlooking our backyard. What a beautiful sight it is early in the day. The overgrown hedges with scattered light peaking through between small gaps here and there. My eyes caught sight of two white butterflies dancing together across the yard. The setting was perfect.
The cake is a fairly simple one but oh so lovely and aromatic.
I began with a French vanilla cake base then added honey, lavender and an extra touch of vanilla.
I generously covered the top with whipped frosting and decorated it with lavender, rosemary, lemon rinds and pearl sprinkles.
It was well received by our company, accepting plenty of compliments and nods of approval.
As the house began to quiet down, the day began to reach its zenith and our pleasant guests headed home.
I took a moment, watching from those bay windows, out into the familiar view. Oh how beautiful the summer evenings are. Crickets beneath the window, flickering lights flying about the lawn. A soft light streamed through those hedges of dark evergreen. This is my secret garden. The source of many fond memories and the inspiration behind many ideas.
“And the secret garden bloomed and bloomed and every morning revealed new miracles.”
Lavender and Honey Bundt #BundtBakers
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 10 1x
- Category: Dessert
- 1 box French Vanilla cake mix
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/3 cup apple sauce
- 2 teaspoons dried lavender, finely chopped
- 1 heaping tablespoons raw honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup vanilla frosting
- Dried lavender, for garnish,
- Fresh Rosemary sprigs, for garnish
- Pearl sprinkles (optional), for garnish
- Fresh lemon rinds, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. and butter a bundt pan, set aside.
- In the bowl of your mix master with the paddle attachment, combine cake mix, eggs, water, apple sauce, lavender, honey and vanilla. Beat until smooth.
- Pour the batter into the prepared bundt pan and bake for 30-35 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean.
- Remove and let cool on a cooling rack.
- Turn the bundt out onto a cake plate and frost. Garnish with suggested decorative toppings and serve.
#BundtBakers is a group of Bundt loving bakers who get together once a month to bake Bundts with a common ingredient or theme. Follow our Pinterest board right here. Links are also updated each month on the BundtBakers home page.
- Almond Lavender Bundt by The Queen of Scones
- Carrot Bundt Cake with Chamomile Orange Icing by Patty’s Cake
- Chocolate and Mint Cake by Baking Yummies
- Ginger & Lemon Crackle Courgette Bundt Cake by Baking in Pyjamas
- Elderflower and Lemon Bundt by Jane’s Adventure in Dinner
- Lavender & Honey Bundt by Living the Gourmet
- Lavender & Lemon Bundt Cake by I Love Bundt Cakes
- Lavender Lemonade Bundt by All That’s Left Are The Crumbs
- Lemon and Rosewater Cake by Palatable Pastime
- Lemon Balm Bundt Cake by Magnolia Days
- Lemon Zucchini Bundt with Sugared Pansies by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Mojito Bundt Cakes by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Roses & Lemon Bundt Cake by kidsandchic
- Spiced Zucchini Bundt Cake by Making Miracles
- Sweet Chocolate Feel the Beet Cake by Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck Survive Despite a Whiskered Accomplice
- Vanilla Rose Bundt with Edible Flowers by Our Good Life
- Yorkshire Parkin Mini Bundt by Food Lust People Love
- Zucchini, Cheddar and Chive Bundt by Cookaholic Wife
I love the combo of lavender and lemon. You’ve put them together beautifully in your bundt. Gorgeous cake.
^^^I meant lavender and honey. I need more coffee…
[email protected]'s Recipes says
What a beautiful combo of ingredients and flavours! An excellent cake, Tammy.
The Secret Garden was one of my favorites! I love the flavors you’ve put in this cake! Stopping by from Full Plate Thursday to pin the recipe
Tammy, the colors of this cake is so divine and perfect for summer time.
Thanks for sharing!
Your recipes and photography are so warm and whimsical!!
Wendy, A Day in the Life on the Farm says
This is a wonderfully written post. Just beautiful and the cake is gorgeous. Thanks so much for sharing your day with us.
Terri Steffes says
The cake is gorgeous!
Bee Gianni says
I’m dying to try this gorgeous cake. Two of my all time favorites, lavender and honey. Can you buy lavender honey? I’d sure like that.
Lauren @ Sew You Think You Can Cook says
Pure beauty. Your post brought me peace and calm (even amidst the noises being made by my two rambunctious boys). I’ve actually never read The Secret Garden!
Your cake, sounds lovely. Honey makes everything better – at least according to my husband.
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen says
Lemon and lavender is such a lovely combination and this cake is just perfection. I’d love a slice right now with the tea I’m sipping 🙂
allie @ Through Her Looking Glass says
Dear Tammy, what a beautiful cake. I too loved the Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett. Also The Little Princess by the same author. I must have read both a dozen times or more. This cake is the perfect inspiration. I can see Mary and Colin now, sitting at a tea table behind the wall, enjoying a thick slice. Hope you and your family are having a wonderful summer. XOXO
[email protected] Baking in Pyjamas says
What a perfect setting to bake in. Your cake looks and sounds full of summer’s finest ingredients.
You’ve decorated the cake beautifully, it looks so pretty! and you are so lucky to be greeted by such a wonderful sight in the morning!
I love Tammy. The story that you tell me is exciting and move me to your home. I love lavender,vainille, rosemary all thems leaves a wonderful smell in the house.
thanks to share your secret garden bundt