This simple, sweet summer cake is infused with warm golden honey, aromatic dried lavender and sweet vanilla. Inspired by the classic novel, The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett, this is our Lavender and Honey Bundt.
“If you look the right way, you can see that the whole world is a garden.”
When Sue of Palatable Pastime announced this month's theme of #BundtBakers would be The Secret Garden, I was giddy with excitement.
The Secret Garden was one of the first novels I had learned to read on my own. It was, to me, the original Harry Potter.
Its pages enchanted my childhood and sent my imagination soaring. It revealed to me through its delicate pages and fancifully crafted lines, the beauty of the world around me.
Those childish wonders still live on in my heart.
This summer day started with pure gold pouring in through my window between the lace curtains and twinkling trinkets hung across the pane.
The dazzling morning light was washed across the walls and I was blessed to be greeted by such beauty.
I wandered downstairs to get started my list of daily chores when I came to realize that not only were we celebrating my aunt's birthday but #BundtBakers was due the following day.
I prepped my work space beside the bay windows overlooking our backyard. What a beautiful sight it is early in the day. The overgrown hedges with scattered light peaking through between small gaps here and there. My eyes caught sight of two white butterflies dancing together across the yard. The setting was perfect.
The cake is a fairly simple one but oh so lovely and aromatic.
I began with a French vanilla cake base then added honey, lavender and an extra touch of vanilla.
I generously covered the top with whipped frosting and decorated it with lavender, rosemary, lemon rinds and pearl sprinkles.
It was well received by our company, accepting plenty of compliments and nods of approval.
As the house began to quiet down, the day began to reach its zenith and our pleasant guests headed home.
I took a moment, watching from those bay windows, out into the familiar view. Oh how beautiful the summer evenings are. Crickets beneath the window, flickering lights flying about the lawn. A soft light streamed through those hedges of dark evergreen. This is my secret garden. The source of many fond memories and the inspiration behind many ideas.
“And the secret garden bloomed and bloomed and every morning revealed new miracles.”Print
#BundtBakers is a group of Bundt loving bakers who get together once a month to bake Bundts with a common ingredient or theme. Follow our Pinterest board right here. Links are also updated each month on the BundtBakers home page.
- Almond Lavender Bundt by The Queen of Scones
- Carrot Bundt Cake with Chamomile Orange Icing by Patty's Cake
- Chocolate and Mint Cake by Baking Yummies
- Ginger & Lemon Crackle Courgette Bundt Cake by Baking in Pyjamas
- Elderflower and Lemon Bundt by Jane's Adventure in Dinner
- Lavender & Honey Bundt by Living the Gourmet
- Lavender & Lemon Bundt Cake by I Love Bundt Cakes
- Lavender Lemonade Bundt by All That's Left Are The Crumbs
- Lemon and Rosewater Cake by Palatable Pastime
- Lemon Balm Bundt Cake by Magnolia Days
- Lemon Zucchini Bundt with Sugared Pansies by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Mojito Bundt Cakes by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Roses & Lemon Bundt Cake by kidsandchic
- Spiced Zucchini Bundt Cake by Making Miracles
- Sweet Chocolate Feel the Beet Cake by Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck Survive Despite a Whiskered Accomplice
- Vanilla Rose Bundt with Edible Flowers by Our Good Life
- Yorkshire Parkin Mini Bundt by Food Lust People Love
- Zucchini, Cheddar and Chive Bundt by Cookaholic Wife