This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #SpringIntoFlavor #CollectiveBias
Spring into flavor with these quick and delicious recipes made with all natural Alexia products.
I wrote recently about the ‘invisible shortcuts’ that can help make a summer themed gathering a far simpler task than it otherwise might be, essentially ways to please an entire family, adults and children alike. While ways to please ‘the entire family’ is a perennial and undying subject, the opposite end of the spectrum deserves its fair share of attention as well.
That was precisely what I had to take into consideration recently, as I hosted a close friend of mine for a dinner party the other night. I wanted to create something that was proudly and unabashedly for the more mature of palettes. However, I still wanted to keep the summer theme as my guiding principle.
There was just one problem, I waited until the last minute to actually begin planning out the menu, and so I needed something that I could prepare relatively quickly, and relatively easily. While ease and elegance are not typically associated with one another, I was nevertheless determined to try.
It is here that I will admit that I found my inspiration, and the evening’s salvation, in one of the most unlikely of places; frozen French fries. I cannot place my finger on exactly why or how it clicked, but when I saw the fries during my last Walmart run, that is precisely what happened. As a result, I picked up several bags of Alexia Fries and Onion Rings, in particular the Crispy Onion Rings and the Sweet Potato Fries, as well as a bag of the Rosemary and Sea Salt Fries. Having tried these fries in the past, I knew that they were a quality product, and would fit in perfectly what I now I had in mind for the dinner party.
When I got home, I ended up preparing the meal in reverse. I started out by whipping up a batch of homemade ice cream. After the main course, I served the ice cream on a warm bed or nest of the sweet potato fries, which created for a delicious contrast between the chilled sweet of the ice cream, and the warm savory tones of the fries.Print
Sweet Potato Sundae Sweet Potato & Spinach Birds Nests Portobello & Onion Ring Burgers
- Prep Time: 8 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 33 minutes
- Yield: 12 1x
- Category: Dessert Appetizer Main Dish
- Vanilla Ice Cream – store-bought or homemade
- 20 oz. bag of Alexia Sweet Potato Fries
- Honey, for drizzling
- Toasted Pecans, chopped and whole
- Course Sea Salt
- 20 oz. bag of Alexia Sweet Potato Fries
- 2 cups uncooked baby spinach
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 21/2 tbs. olive oil
- 4 – 5 slices of bacon
- 1/2 cup Italian parsley
- 1 tbs. lemon juice
- 8 oz. feta cheese
- 4 – Portobello mushrooms
- Fresh tomato – sliced thin
- Fresh red onion – sliced thin
- Your favorite fresh salad greens
- Favorite burger buns
- 13.5 oz. bag Alexia Onion Rings
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and bake Alexia Sweet Potato Fries for about 15 minutes until slightly golden.
- Scoop desired amount of ice cream in a bowl or glass. Place hot fries all around. Sprinkle with toasted pecans, drizzle with honey and add a pinch of course sea salt.
- Preheat Oven 400 degrees F.
- Prepare the bacon and set aside.
- Remove the fries from the freezer and leave out for a few minutes.
- Place the fries, salt, pepper and olive oil in the food processor and process until crumbly and manageable.
- Press the fries into prepared cupcake tins or paper cupcake holders.
- Bake in the oven for approximately 15 – 18 minutes; remove from the oven.
- In a food processor place the eggs, parsley, feta cheese and spinach and give a few chops.
- Fill each cup with the egg and spinach mixture. Top each cup with a few pieces of crumbled bacon.
- Bake 15 – 18 minutes or until set.
- Let cool a bit before trying to remove from the muffin cups. Gently, run a knife between the muffin cup and the potato crust.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line onion rings out on a baking sheet and bake for about 15 minutes or until golden.
- Carefully take the stem off of the mushrooms and clean the mushroom cap.
- Brush each mushroom cap with olive oil.
- Heat a grill. Place the mushroom cap on the grill and place a heavy pan on the mushroom while grilling.
- Grill 8 – 10 minutes.
- Build the burger with your favorite burger bun, fresh salad greens, thinly sliced red onions, fresh tomato slices, grilled Portobello mushroom and Alexia Onion Rings.
- Serve with your favorite Alexia fries if desired, and condiments.
Prep Time does not include Inactive Prep Time
Needless to say, the night was a success, due in no small part to inspiration from an unlikely source. On that note, what did you serve at your last dinner party? Or what is your surest way of making a dinner party a success? I would just love to hear from you.
Enjoy with Love,