There is no better way to celebrate National Soup Month than with a bowl of this chunky, comforting Sweet Potato Soup.
I had some baked sweet potatoes that needed to be used so I thought, “why not make soup with them?” and soup it was.
The days may be cold but the spirit is bright with the warmth of knowing spring is just around the corner.Print
Sweet Potato Soup
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- 2 vine ripe tomatoes – quartered
- 1/2 red onion – sliced thin
- 1 jalapeño – chopped
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 2 cloves of garlic – chopped
- 19 oz. can of cannellini beans – drained
- 1 inch piece of ginger – chopped fine
- 1/4 cup Italian parsley – chopped
- Juice of 1/2 lemon or lime
- 4 – 5 sweet potatoes – baked
- 4 – 5 cups of chicken broth
- 2 tbs. olive oil
- Heat a heavy soup pot with the olive oil.
- Adjust the burner to a heat to a low heat and add the red onion, ginger, parsley, sweet potatoes, tomatoes, garlic and jalapeño; sauté until the garlic is fragrant and the onions soften.
- With a potato masher; carefully mash the ingredients in the pot. Add the chicken broth, lemon juice, beans and the seasonings and simmer on a low heat.
- For a thinner consistency to your soup add more chicken broth. It depends on your preference.
- Simmer the soup on a low heat for 15 – 20 minutes.
- Serve as is; or with rice or your choice of noodles.