I blended the sweet potatoes with rum and dark molasses then baked it until golden in a sweet, flaky crust. With the scraps of dough leftover, daughter decorated the pie top making it extra festive.
We served it to guests over the weekend with Millstone Coffee who were kind enough to send us their Mayan Black Onyx roast. For coffee lovers who love a rich, full-bodied, dark blend this one is for you!
Living the Gourmet
15 minPrep Time
55 minCook Time
1 hr, 10 Total Time
- 4 sweet potatoes
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons rum
- 2 tablespoons dark molasses syrup
- 4 oz. cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons confectioner's sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 3 tablespoons butter, chilled and cubed
- 3 tablespoons shortening
- 3-4 tablespoons ice cold water
- In a food processor, blend flour, confectioner's sugar, and salt. Add cubed butter and shortening. Pulse until the mixture is crumbly. Slowly add the cold water, one tablespoon at a time until a smooth dough comes together.
- Wrap in plastic and refrigerator for about 30 minutes.
- On a well floured surface, roll the dough out to 1/4-inch thick. Fit into a pie plate and trim the edges saving the scraps of dough for later. Crimp the edges and poke the bottom of the crust with a fork. Blind bake the crust for 10-15 minutes at 350 degrees F. Remove and let cool slightly before filling.
- With the left over dough, roll out and cut desired shapes to top the pie.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Roast sweet potatoes with the skin until tender.
- Once the sweet potatoes have cooled completely, peel and place in the food processor.
- Add sugar, sour cream, rum, molasses, cream cheese, vanilla and eggs to the sweet potatoes. Blend until creamy and smooth.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pie crust and decorate with cutouts if desired. Bake for 40-45 minutes until crust is golden and the pie is firm.
- Let cool before placing in the refrigerator. Serve chilled and if desired with whipped cream.
Enjoy with Love,
**I received this product for review. All opinions expressed are my own.