This post has been sponsored by Torani. All opinions expressed are my own.
We’re welcoming fall to Living the Gourmet with a warming Hot Buttered Rum spiced with the season’s most beloved flavor- Pumpkin Pie. It’s rich, comforting, and takes only minutes to prep.
Let’s see, my first experience with Hot Buttered Rum was the more kid-friendly Butterbeer variation made famous by Harry Potter. We’re going back quite a few years.
Obviously, Hot Buttered Rum has been around longer, dating back to the colonial days when rum was believed to remedy certain ailments. However, in my mind, it will always remain to be the adult version of Butterbeer.
While it may be up for debate whether rum does actually help soothe any ailments, one thing we’re sure of is that it can surely cure a case of the winter blues. So, as we ready our homes for the colder days ahead, trading our sun hats for cozy knits, let’s welcome the new season with a warm embrace.
Bubbling fruit pies, toasted nuts, hearty soups, and hot drinks to break the icy spell. No doubt today’s recipe will melt the cold and warm the soul with whipped butter spiced with warm seasonings then whisked together with aged rum and hot cider.
We’re giving it the ultimate fall touch with Torani’s Puremade Pumpkin Pie Sauce. Torani’s Puremade Sauce is the perfect option to drizzle into your favorite drinks, while adding the perfect flavor balance of warm spice and rich pumpkin flavor.
It’s also perfect to drizzle over pies, pancakes, toast, ice cream or stirred into your morning coffee- the options are limitless.
So, let’s talk about how fantastic liquid butter is- like you need convincing…This is a great recipe to use a well aged rum with too. The richness of the butter paired with a sweeter aged rum makes this even more sublime.
Also, for those who are unsure about the aging process of liquor- no, you don’t age the rum yourself. If left open for a prolonged period of time they do not improve with age. You have to buy your rum aged. Gold rum or Black rum work best here. They are aged longer in their casks giving them a signature depth of flavor. Black rum tends to hold a smoky-sweetness as it has been aged the longest. Spiced rum would also be good here.
I finished it off with a dollop of cream and an extra drizzle of Torani’s Puremade Pumpkin Pie Sauce so the pumpkin flavor really shines through. It’s exactly what one might be craving for the season. If you’re on board, let’s get mixing.
Pumpkin Pie Hot Buttered Rum
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 1 1x
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened (can be salted or unsalted)
- 1 tablespoon packed dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Torani’s Puremade Pumpkin Pie Sauce, plus more for drizzling
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon fresh nutmeg
- 2 ounces dark rum
- 6 ounces hot water or apple cider
- Whipped cream, for topping
- In a small bowl, whisk together butter, brown sugar, syrup, cinnamon, and nutmeg until light and fluffy. Set aside.
- Bring 6 ounces of water or cider to a boil.
- In your desired glass, scoop a heaping tablespoon of the whipped butter into the bottom of the glass. Pour in the rum and then the hot water (or cider). Stir until the butter is completely incorporated.
- Top with whipped cream and drizzle with Torani’s Puremade Pumpkin Pie Sauce. Serve & enjoy!
Keywords: hot buttered rum, pumpkin spice, pumpkin pie, winter recipes, beverages, alcoholic drinks