As we bid summer adieu, we wrap our series off with this refreshingly delicious, hearty, cool soup. Loaded with fresh vegetables alongside Parmesan crisps, it’s a perfect end note to everything the season embodies.
Despite the heat of the summer, I had a strong hankering for soup. Crazy right?
Believe it or not, my craving for gazpacho is what initially inspired our Summer Comfort Food series this month on LTG.
It took me a while to create a dish I was eager to share, which explains why I saved the best recipe for last.
Seasonal veggies fill the brim of the bowl. Much of the produce harvested locally, are still in abundance, so there is plenty of time to make this gazpacho.
I wanted to add a gourmet touch to the palate with grilled Parmesan crisps. The salty cheese crackers perfectly balanced out the cool, roasted vegetables.
This gazpacho is thick and chunky, but can be blended to a finer consistency.
It is truly Summer comfort in one spoonful.
Living the Gourmet
10 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
30 minTotal Time
- 6 – 7 vine ripe tomatoes - halved
- 1 whole head of garlic
- 3 – 4 stalks of celery
- 1 large zucchini
- 1 red onion
- 1 bell pepper
- 1 long hot pepper
- 3 tbs. olive oil
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 3 tbs. balsamic vinegar
- ¼ cup honey
- ¼ cup fresh Italian parsley
- 1 tbs. capers
- 2 tbs. raisins
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Freshly ground pepper
- Preheat Oven 350 degrees F.
- Place the tomatoes, garlic in the skin, celery stalks, peeled and quartered zucchini, peeled onion, bell pepper sliced and long hot pepper (with or without seeds) on a baking sheet.
- Drizzle the vegetables with olive oil and a pinch of salt.
- Place in the oven for 20 – 25 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let the vegetables cool.
- Pinch the garlic to remove the cloves from the skin once it has cooled.
- Place the vegetables in a food processor along with the seasonings, balsamic vinegar, honey, Italian parsley, raisins and capers. Process until a desired consistency is reached.
- Place in a covered bowl and refrigerate for at least one to two hours before serving.
- Place 1 tablespoon of grated Parmesan on a heated griddle.
- Let the cheese melt down and once golden around the edges, flip and cook on the other side until golden as well. Transfer to a cooling rack until ready to serve.
Enjoy with Love!