This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #WildSideOfFlavor #CollectiveBias
Give your classic sausage and peppers a kick of bold flavor with Jack Link’s Wild Side Sausages! Perfect for grilling indoors or outdoors, this flavorful variety is perfect for any occasion!
There’s a saying that “Memories do funny things to us.” Aside from being a foggy and increasingly imperfect chronicle of the past, memories also taint how we perceive not only the world around us, but reach beyond their own domain of the past to color how we look at the future.
As anyone who follows Living the Gourmet knows, in my family, as in so many others, memories were made around the table, and in the kitchen. Naturally, certain recipes, foods, or combinations come to mind for particular occasions. For example, with the start of spring, grilling was always on the agenda, whether it was sausages, steaks, or just sitting around a fire on a summer night with coffee and marshmallows. One of my most common grill items was a classic sausages and peppers. Honestly, it just goes with anything, and can be dressed up for any occasion, from humble incarnations meant for piling onto club heroes or Kaiser rolls, to being refined as the centerpiece for a dinner party.
With the start of spring upon us, and a range of family get-togethers only just beginning, I wanted to put a fresh twist on the old family favorite, and I was thinking of ways to do just that during a recent supply run to Walmart. Since it’s such a simple base recipe, the possibility for variation is almost limitless. Usual variations on the recipe include varying degrees of ‘spiciness,’ usually by the addition of various hot peppers or spice sauces, or ‘refining’ the recipe through the addition of more ‘gourmet’ ingredients.
Yet, I wanted to something purely ‘fun’ for the start of the season, and that’s exactly what came to mind when I saw the display of Jack Link’s Wild Side Sausages right in the same aisle with the deli goods and packaged meats. Immediately, two varieties caught my eye, Jack Link’s Wild Side Sausages Jalapeno Flavor, and the Cheddar Flavor. All are made with premium cuts of beef and pork, and with no artificial flavors or colors, msg, or fillers, and are high in protein. The Original Flavor would also serve nicely.
Now, while these would be great on their own, or served right along with the peppers, I decided to do something a little different. After preparing my peppers as shown below, I melted some mozzarella onto Italian semolina bread right on my griddle, and filled them with the sausage and peppers for a classic-style hero. Now, while I did this all on the stove, this is also a perfect recipe for warm weather grilling.
Living the Gourmet
10 minPrep Time
15 minCook Time
25 minTotal Time
- 1 package Jack Link’s Wild Side Sausages Cheddar Flavor (or your choice of flavors) – prepared as directed
- Italian bread
- Shredded Mozzarella
- 3 – 4 cloves of garlic – roasted and chopped
- 1 large sweet onion – roasted and sliced
- 6 bell peppers – roasted and sliced
- 3 – 4 tbs. olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- Heat a large cast iron griddle and place the whole garlic cloves, whole bell peppers and whole onion on the griddle to roast.
- When the peppers, garlic cloves and onion become slightly charred remove from the griddle and let cool before slicing.
- Place all of the sliced peppers, onion and garlic in a bowl; add the seasonings and olive oil and toss.
- Prepare sausage links as directed.
- Heat a griddle and place the shredded mozzarella on each side of the bread.
- Add the cooked sausage and the peppers to the hero and place on the griddle to heat and melt the cheese.
What are some of your favorite start of spring or early summer recipes? We would love to hear from you. Don’t forget, Jack Link’s Wild Side Sausages are on rollback pricing ($3.48) through Memorial Day.
Enjoy with Love!