This delightfully light, moist breakfast cake is filled with blueberries and a squeeze of fresh citrus, then baked to perfection with a gorgeous sugar crust on top.
Amy is the delightful author of The Savvy Kitchen, a recipe blog filled with delicious, homey family dishes.
I seem to face the same dilemma each month for Secret Recipe Club, but choosing just ONE recipe is always a tough challenge. Then, Amy shared this beautiful breakfast cake. Fortunately, I have a freezer filled with leftover summer fruit. Blueberries happen to be our favorites and sometimes, you just crave a warm blueberry muffin and tea on a cold November morning…or in this case, blueberry cake!
This cake is just utter perfection. It’s light, delicate and moist. It’s filled with sweet berries and subtle notes of lemons. To top it off, when it came out of the oven, there was this gorgeous sugar crust! I could barely wait to cut into it. Enjoy friends!
The Savvy Kitchen
10 minPrep Time
40 minCook Time
50 minTotal Time
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 tsp. lemon zest
- 3/4 cup + 3 tbsp. sugar, divided
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2 cups flour, divided
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9-inch square baking pan with butter or coat with non-stick spray and set aside.
- Cream butter with lemon zest and 3/4 cup plus 2 tbsp. of the sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the egg and vanilla and beat until combined.
- Meanwhile, toss the blueberries with 1/4 cup of flour.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the remaining 1 3/4 cup flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add the flour mixture to the batter a little at a time, alternating with the buttermilk. Fold in the blueberries.
- Spread batter into the prepared pan. Sprinkle batter with remaining 1 tbsp. of sugar. Bake for 35 to 45 minutes. Check with a toothpick for doneness. If still wet, return pan to oven for a couple of more minutes. (Note: Baking for as long as 10 minutes more might be necessary.)
- Let cool at least 15 minutes before serving.