Today we are sharing three delicious recipes featuring Boar’s Head SmokeMaster™ Black Forest Ham to conclude your menu for the fall holidays.
One of the best parts of anything highly anticipated in our lives, whether it’s planning for a special event such as a vacation, or looking forward to the latest movie from a favorite actor, is, very often, the anticipation and planning itself.
The dreaded ‘Now What’ and ‘Is that all?’ are questions that are simply a part of our human experience. Rarely does anything live up to the script that forms in our mind’s eye, as anticipation itself is largely, and sometimes entirely, a projection of our own desires calculated against our expectations.
With the holidays, however, the reverse is often true. Lamenting the early onset of seasonal decorations across store shelves, sharing war stories of preparing holiday gatherings, and recounting tales of the ‘good old days,’ are the sport of choice for many during this time of year.
That being said, as I embark upon the encroaching holiday season, I wanted to have a few culinary tricks up my sleeve, particularly for those impromptu autumn visits that are becoming all the more frequent, if only just to take some of the headache inducing planning out of the mix later on. Yet, I wanted to do so with familiar flavors. One such flavor is instantly familiar to most, especially around this time of year – Black Forest Ham. But here I decided to take a slightly different rout, using Boar’s Head SmokeMaster™ Black Forest Ham, prepared with imported German beechwood, which imbues the ham with a rich yet delicious smooth smoky flavor more typically enjoyed in central and Northern Europe.
One such item that I decided to start incorporating into my appetizer is actually something my mother was fond of doing, and that was serving sliced melon wrapped in ham and secured with a toothpick. It couldn’t possibly be easier, but carries a strange finesse to it, making it a perfect late summer or early autumn starting piece.
Simply wrap each slice of melon with a slice of ham, setting it with a toothpick. Leave the melon platter in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
To pair perfectly with the above, another favorite that goes great during these ‘in between’ temperature weeks is a simple German potato salad prepared with Italian parsley, olive oil, and sliced strips of ham. This can be served warm right after preparing, or cold.
Living the Gourmet
10 minPrep Time
30 minCook Time
40 minTotal Time
- 5 lbs. of potatoes
- 1/4 - 1/2 lb. Boar’s Head SmokeMaster™ Black Forest Ham, chopped
- 1 large red onion, sliced
- 1 bunch of Italian parsley, chopped
- 1/2 cup vinegar
- 2 tbs. sugar
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 2 tbs. olive oil
- 1 lb. Boar’s Head SmokeMaster™ Black Forest Ham
- 1 lb. Boar’s Head Sliced Provolone
- 2 – 3 lbs. boneless chicken breast – sliced thin and pounded
- 1 bunch Italian parsley – chopped fine
- 3 eggs – beaten with a splash of water
- 1 1/2 cups of Italian style bread crumbs
- 1 1/2 cups of flour
- Olive oil for drizzling
- Toothpicks – for closing the chicken bundles
- Boil the potatoes until fork tender; drain and let cool.
- Heat a large frying pan with the olive oil. Add the onions and parsley and sauté until the onions are tender.
- Add the chopped ham and sauté for a minute or two; turn off the heat and set aside.
- Cut the potatoes into quarters and place in a large bowl; add the chopped ham and onions, seasonings and toss.
- Combine the sugar and vinegar and add to the potato salad and once again give a quick toss.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Preheat Oven 350 degrees F.
- Set out three shallow bowls; one with the flour, one with the egg wash plus the chopped parsley and finally one with the bread crumbs.
- Place a slice of ham and a slice of provolone on the chicken cutlets and roll the cutlet.
- Roll the cutlet first in the flour, then the egg wash and finally in the breadcrumbs. Seal the bundle with a toothpick and place in a baking pan.
- Drizzle olive oil over the cutlets and bake 30 – 35 minutes or until the chicken is golden and the juices run clear.
Enjoy with Love,
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.