A simple, rustic meal bold in flavor and filled with fresh ingredients. Served over a bed of orzo, this dinner is light yet satisfying.
The simplest of meals is often the most satisfying. With the snow now disappearing into memory there still lingers a bit of a chill in the air. The promise of starting a garden and the satisfaction of seeing the garden transform into its entire splendor holds the promise of spring. These are the simple pleasures that I look forward too.
This meal is a reminder of such simplicity yet, brought together transforms into a pleasant meal.Print
Greek Style Chicken with Orzo
- 8 chicken legs
- 3 tbs. fresh dill – chopped
- 3 tbs. fresh Italian parsley – chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic – chopped
- 1/2 red onion – sliced thin
- 1 fresh tomato – diced
- 1 bell pepper – sliced thin
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 3 tbs. olive oil
- 1 box of orzo
- Parmesan cheese for grating
- Heat a large cast iron frying pan with the olive oil; add the garlic, dill and parsley and sauté until the garlic is fragrant.
- Place the chicken legs in the pan and let them get slightly golden; then add the tomato, onion and peppers. Add the seasonings and lemon juice; simmer on a low heat; slightly covered, at least one hour or longer; turning the pieces of chicken from time to time.
- Prepare the orzo as directed.
- Place the orzo in a large serving bowl; top with the chicken legs and the sauce.
- Drizzle the top of the dish with olive oil and serve with grated cheese.