The rain has been relentless these past few days. I miss those few sunny warm days spring teased me with last week. I miss being out in that garden patch. The smell and feel of the soil…
These things are out of our control though, so this week has been a respite from all that cleaning out and yard work.
It’s been nice getting to catch up with all of you (I know I have many more visits to make)! Even though the rain has kept me indoors there still seems to be much to do. Fortunately though, I did find time to get into the kitchen, which was very nice indeed.
There really isn’t anything more comforting than the smell of warm fruit and toasted oats. Top with a dollop of whipped cream, grab a chair and watch the rain fall down. Life can be really wonderful sometimes…it’s always the little moments like these that just make it extra beautiful.
Here’s to a lovely weekend ahead~
Yields 4 servings
5 minPrep Time
15 minCook Time
20 minTotal Time
- 2 full tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen whole strawberries
- 1 apple - cored, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons raisins
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1 tablespoons flour
- In a small saucepan, whisk sugar and cornstarch together. Add blueberries and strawberries, then boil down over medium heat.
- Once the berries have simmered down and are soft, add apple and raisins. Gently simmer until apples are slightly softened. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla and immediately pour fruit filling into a small skillet.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a small skillet, melt butter. Add sugar, oats, and flour. Over medium-low heat, toss the oats until they become slightly toasted. Remove from heat.
- Sprinkle the rolled oats over the fruit filling.
- Bake for about 10-15 minutes or until the oats are golden and the fruit is bubbling around the sides.
- Remove from the oven and let cool.
- Serve with whipped cream and enjoy.
**Here is the simple whipped cream recipe I used.