I hope you all have your Easter baskets filled, eggs brightly colored and best clothes ready. May your day be bountiful and beautiful and the sun shine brightly for your Easter parade. May you have many happy memories for all your loved ones to take home.
While we may get caught up in the all excitement of decorating and preparing our Easter table, let us not forget what Easter is really about. As we celebrate our time with family and close friends, let us also celebrate that this is Resurrection Sunday.
No-Rise Hot Cross Buns
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 1 dozen 1x
- 1/3 cup raisins, chopped
- Zest of 1 orange
- 1 tsp. mixed berry marmalade
- 1 tblsp. culinary rum
- 1/2 tsp. maple syrup
- 1/4 cup fruit juice
- 3 cups self-rising flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup confectioner’s sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon Nielsen Massey Vanilla
- 1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon of milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease a 3 qt. baking dish and set aside.
- Simmer, in a small sauce pan, over a medium heat all of the ingredients for the rum raisins. Remove from heat and transfer to a bowl and allow to cool.
- In a medium bowl, sift together flour, salt and cinnamon. Add oil, brown sugar, and egg. Mix well until well incorporated. Add the milk, half cup, at a time until a fine dough comes together. Add rum raisins and mix with your hands.
- Turn the dough onto a well-floured surface and knead until it all comes together and is smooth.
- Pull the dough apart making pool ball sized buns; the dough should make about 1 dozen hot cross buns.
- Brush each bun with an egg wash (1 egg white + 1 teaspoon milk or water).
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden.
- Remove from the oven and transfer to a cooling rack.
To learn more about Nielsen Massey Extracts visit their website.