Eggs with Lentils and Rice
For Lentils16 oz. package of frozen creamed spinach
- 1 1/2 cups diced carrots
- 16 oz. dried lentils
- 5 cloves garlic – chopped
- 29 oz. can crushed or tomato puree
- 3 – 4 cups water (as needed)
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
For the Rice2 cups uncooked rice
- 1/4 tsp. turmeric
- Prepare the rice as directed adding the turmeric to the water.
Topping for the Lentils1 red onion – sliced
- 1/2 cup Italian parsley – chopped
- 3 cloves garlic – chopped
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. sugar
- 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
For the Eggs2 eggs – beaten with a splash of milk
- 1 tsp. olive oil
For LentilsRinse the lentils and drain and repeat. Place the lentils is a bowl and fill with water to just cover the lentils.
- Heat a saucepan with the olive oil. Add the garlic, carrots and creamed spinach. Sauté on low until the creamed spinach is thawed.
- Add the soaked lentils and the tomato puree. Add the seasonings and the water as needed to make sure lentils are barely covered. Gently cook until the lentils are soft. Approximately 30 – 35 minutes.
For the RiceHeat a small frying pan with the olive oil. Add the onion, garlic and parsley, along with the seasonings to sauté until the onion is soft and the garlic fragrant.
For the EggsHeat a small frying pan with olive oil and pour the egg mixture into the pan; when the eggs are set gently flip.
- Plate the rice topped with the lentils and the onion mixture and the eggs.
- Add a drizzle of olive oil and serve.
- Serving Size: 4