Make any celebration easy with this stunning Black & White Cake that is light and airy! Paired with New York Egg Creams, no matter what the occasion, make each moment a celebration with Vintage® Seltzer!
An old friend of mine wrote something regarding happiness a while back, and I wish I could find the exact quote, but it ran roughly, “Happiness is a quality all its own. It can find a way in the darkest of times, and yet can slip through your fingers when everything’s golden. Like an elusive mistress, it must be treasured when it can be had, for it arrives only on its own terms. It is a malleable treasure, whose worth depends entirely upon the heart of the one who possesses it.”
They are words that I find myself relating to quite often, and for a variety of reasons. For example, just yesterday was my son’s birthday. Between family drama, content due the next day, as well as the day after, and assorted post-holiday chaos, it would have been understandable if the day didn’t go quite according to plan.
Yet, despite the crunched schedule, there was no shortage of birthday cheer, from double rounds of Thanksgiving Leftover Heroes, to Santa hats, dueling Latin and Christmas playlists, and cheesy Christmas movies. In other words, it was almost exactly what you would expect from a birthday placed directly after Thanksgiving, and right at the start of the lead up to Christmas.
However, at least from my son’s perspective, the star of the night (and day), was the Black and White Seltzer Cake we prepared for him as well as the New York Egg Creams, which I prepared three rounds of throughout the day.
Yes, you read that right – seltzer cake.
To start things off, we prepared, separately, one Dark Chocolate Box Cake Mix and one Classic White Box Cake Mix, each with 12oz of unflavored Vintage® Seltzer. I prefer Vintage® for this since it is naturally flavored, entirely free of calories, sugar, and artificial dies. It is readily available in the soda aisle of your grocery store. After baking the cakes as described below, allow them to rest until completely cool and then remove them as carefully as you can from their pans, since they should be quite delicate and ‘airy,’ courtesy of the seltzer.
Now, layer the cakes together, alternating between chocolate and vanilla frosting. I prefer to use whipped frosting, since it harmonizes well with the airy quality of the cakes. Then frost the sides of the cake with the vanilla, and top it with chocolate frosting. Now, dust the sides of the cake with your chopped walnuts, and top it with diced maraschino cherries as shown below, and you’re done.
The end result is a delicious cake that’s deceptively simple to put together, and yet both looks and tastes absolutely decadent.
5 minPrep Time
30 minCook Time
5 minTotal Time
- 1 Dark Chocolate Box Cake Mix
- 1 Classic White Box Cake Mix
- 24 oz. Vintage Seltzer (12 oz. for each cake mix)
- 12 oz. Whipped Milk Chocolate Frosting
- 12 oz. Whipped Vanilla Frosting
- Chopped Walnuts
- Halved Maraschino Cherries
- Butter for greasing the cake pans
- 3 – 4 tablespoons of chocolate syrup
- 4 oz. whole milk
- 16 oz. can of Vintage Seltzer
- Preheat Oven 350 degrees F. and grease four 8-inch baking pans.
- Mix each cake mix with 12 oz. of Vintage Seltzer.
- Bake 30 – 35 minutes or until the toothpick test comes out clean.
- Cool the cakes and carefully remove from pan.
- Alternate the chocolate and vanilla frostings between the layers; sprinkling each layer with chopped walnuts and Maraschino cherries.
- Frost the outside and top of cake with the vanilla and chocolate frosting and sprinkle the chopped walnuts on the outside and cherries on top.
- In a tall glass place the chocolate syrup followed by the whole milk and while stirring fill with the seltzer.
What are some of your favorite baking tricks? We would love to hear from you. Save $1.00 on your next purchase of a 12pk of Vintage® Seltzer and print these coupons! Don’t forget to sign up for email updates to get the latest deals and promotions!
Find Vintage Seltzer, Sparkling Water and Mixers at your favorite grocery store here!
Enjoy with Love,
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.