This moist, decadent breakfast cake is filled with zucchini and fruit, sprinkled with brown sugar and cinnamon, then baked to perfection to create a sweet sugar crust. For an extra special morning treat, grill this with a pat of butter and serve with a drizzle of maple syrup!
I was at the market the other day and zucchini were on special. I being in true form could not pass this up, so I came home with quite a few zucchini. Well, guess what? The bananas were also on special!! So once again, being in true form I could not pass up the bananas. Consequently I also came home with quite a few bananas. I have been eating one of my favorites; I call it my “Elvis” sandwich. I have one more special to tell you about; the apples, yes lots and lots of apples!! Yes, I know good thing they did not have a bridge on special or I would have needed a bigger cart; lol. I needed a few ways in which to use these zucchini, bananas and apples and voila this bread was born!!
It really is quite good, especially warm and with butter.
5 minPrep Time
45 minCook Time
50 minTotal Time
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 cup shredded zucchini (about 1 zucchini)
- 1 cup mashed banana (about 2 bananas)
- 1 cup shredded apple
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 egg
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tbs. lemon juice
- 1 tbs. baking soda
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- Butter for greasing pan
- 3 tbs. butter
- 2 tbs. flour
- 2 tbs. sugar
- 2 tbs. brown sugar
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- In a large bowl; combine the shredded zucchini, apple, lemon zest and mashed banana.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the egg, canola oil, vanilla and lemon juice and stir into the mashed banana bowl.
- Combine all of the dry ingredients and stir into the mashed banana bowl.
- Butter a loaf pan and add the batter.
- Combine all of the ingredients for the topping and form a crumble.
- Sprinkle over the bread.
- Preheat Oven 350 degrees:
- Bake for 40 – 45 minutes or until the toothpick test comes out clean.
For this recipe, I suggest using a larger loaf pan - larger than the standard 8"x4". Also note, this bread is very moist.
Enjoy with Love,
Linking up to these parties!