This post has been sponsored by Karoun Dairies. All opinions expressed are my own.
When it’s just too hot to turn the oven on, we’ve got you covered with this Fried Paneer Salad. Cubes of fried Paneer cheese are topped over a cool bed of romaine with assorted berries and sliced vegetables, warm croutons, shavings of Parmesan, and a light vinaigrette pulling it all together.
Salads have this reputation of being healthy and boring which isn’t to say that some critics aren’t necessarily wrong, but not all salads are created equal.
Sometimes salads can be the best part of a meal. I love a warm grain salad with toasted nuts and sauteed greens in the winter. It serves as a perfect and hearty side dish complimenting a heavy meal. Then in the summer, I find myself craving salads in any form be it fruit salads or bountiful kale bowls.
However, once in a while, a classic leafy green will do the trick.
Today we’re revisiting a simple romaine toss but dressing it up just a bit so it feels a little more exciting especially on a night when it’s too hot to cook and all you’re serving for dinner is a leafy green platter. Well, this particular toss will leave you feeling completely satisfied and refreshed.
We begin by frying cubed Paneer. Now for those who are unfamiliar, Paneer is a mild, milky dense cheese. The consistency reminded me of tofu almost with the subtlety of mozzarella in terms of flavor. It’s a really fabulous option for meatless meals.
For today’s recipe I’m using Indian Style Paneer from Karoun Dairies which has a silky texture and is perfect for sweet or savory dishes. I breaded the cubes then gave them a quick pan fry, from there I simply assembled my salad with what I had on hand.
Tomatoes, radishes, sweet peas, corn- whatever is in harvest works. I tossed some blueberries in there to balance out all the flavors and bring a fresh sweetness to the meal as well.
Finally, a simple lemon and roasted garlic vinaigrette brought it all to life. So now you see, salads can be anything but boring.Print
Fried Paneer Salad
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Salad
- Cuisine: American
For the Fried Paneer:
- 1 package 8 oz. Karoun Dairies Indian Style Paneer, cubed
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup AP flour
- 1 cup bread crumbs
For the Salad:
- 1 large heart of romaine
- 2 roma tomatoes (better boy, beef steak, heirloom, or grape tomatoes are also fine), sliced
- 1/2 small sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup sliced radishes
- Shavings of Parmesan
- 1/2 cup large croutons
- 1/2 cup wild blueberries (strawberries are also fine), optional
For the Lemon & Roasted Garlic Vinaigrette:
- 4–5 cloves roasted garlic, crushed
- Zest of 1/2 lemon
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar with mother
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- Set up your dredging station for the Paneer, then dip the cheese first in flour, egg, and breadcrumbs.
- In a small saucepan heat some vegetable oil, just enough to coat the bottom of the pan. Once the oil is hot enough, fry the cheese. Be sure not to overcrowd the pan.
- Transfer the cheese to a paper towel lined plate to absorb any excess oil. Set aside.
- In another small pan, caramelize the onion with just a teaspoon of sugar. Once golden, remove and set aside.
- In a serving platter or bowl, arrange the salad leaves and desired veggies. Top with the fried paneer, caramelized onions, shavings of cheese, and croutons.
- In a small jar, mix all the ingredients for the vinaigrette. Shake well before serving over salad. Enjoy!
Keywords: salad, paneer