These moist, naturally red velvet cupcakes are perfect for any occasion.
These rich, chocolatey treats boast of a subtle beet flavor offset by a cream cheese frosting made with evaporated milk. The result is surprising, distinct, and bound to become your new favorite. It’s red velvet reinvented!
So feel free to indulge in more than one cupcake 😉Print
Red Velvet Beet Cupcakes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: makes 12-18 cupcakes 1x
- 3–4 medium beet roots
- 1 cup sour milk or buttermilk
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 3/4 cup white sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For Sweet Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 4 oz. cream cheese
- 2 cups confectioner’s sugar
- 2–3 tablespoons evaporated milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. and grease or line a cupcake pan.
- Wrap beet roots in aluminum foil and bake for about 45 minutes or until beets are soft enough for a knife to slide easily through. Let cool, then peel.
- In a food processor, pulse beets. Add sour milk and blend until smooth.
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, cornstarch and cocoa powder. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together sugar, eggs, oil and vanilla.
- Alternate adding flour mixture and beet puree to the wet ingredients. Fold each addition with a spatula, beginning and ending with the flour mixture, until you have a smooth batter.
- Fill each cupcake pan and bake for about 20 minutes or until the cake tester comes out clean.
- Remove the cupcakes and transfer to a cooling rack. Let cool completely.
- In the bowl of your standmixer with the whisk attachment, beat cream cheese until smooth. Add sugar, ¼ cup at a time. Add evaporated milk one tablespoon at a time until a smooth, thick frosting comes together. Top each cupcake with frosting.
- Refrigerate before serving.