Like a traditional New York Style Crumb Cake, big buttery crumbs are generously showered over a rich moist cake base. This classic recipe has warm hints of vanilla and cinnamon, and bright notes of lemon with each bite!
Fellow #BundtBaker and April’s host, Felice from the blog, All That’s Left Are The Crumbs, is taking us back in time.
We’ve been challenged to produce a retro recipe.
As much as I love pushing my creative limits, I must admit, going back to basics is a nice change of pace.
The first thing that came to mind while pondering which classic to recreate was the beloved crumb cake.
There are many versions and variations to this German dessert, but I personally love the New York style crumb. Not only because I’m from NY 😉 but also because I love an equal part ratio of crumb to cake. Who could resist?!! The crumbs are the best part of any cake!
For the base I followed King Arthur’s Class Crumb Cake recipe because I’m not shy to admit that I fudged this challenge the first time around.
My first attempt fell flat, literally, and it only got better when I realized I completely forgot to add sugar to the batter.
I find King Arthur a very reliable source and if I ever have any questions their live help is a big plus!
The batter itself will be thick and rich which is how you will know you have the perfect consistency.
For the crumbs, I added a sprinkle of cinnamon, making it more of a streusel. It just tied the whole dessert together perfectly.
The cake was received with high praise, much to my delight.
Crumb cake has always been a sentimental dessert to me. It reminds me of years growing up, especially Sundays. I look back fondly at those days and this cake leaves a lingering warmth in heart.
10 minPrep Time
45 minCook Time
55 minTotal Time
- 1/2 cup butter, at room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Zest of 1/2 lemon
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt, sour cream, or buttermilk
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Lightly grease your bundt pan then line it with strips of parchment paper so you can more easily transfer the bundt to a cake plate. For this recipes, I served the bundt inverted.
- Prepare the crumb mixture first. Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and blend until a crumbly mixture forms. Cover and set aside.
- In the bowl of your mix master, beat together the butter, sugar, salt, vanilla and lemon zest.
- Add the eggs, beating well after each addition.
- Add the flour and baking soda to the batter until combined.
- Finally, add the yogurt and beat on low speed until well-blended.
- Spread the batter evenly into the prepared bundt pan. Sprinkle with 1/2 the crumb mixture.
- Bake for 30 minutes then, quickly sprinkle the remaining crumbs. Return the cake to the oven and bake for an additional 15 minutes or until the cake tester comes out clean..
- Remove the cake from the oven and transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Once the cake is ready, carefully loosen the sides and center from the pan, then gently lift it out of the pan from the parchment strips.
- Dust with confectioners' sugar and serve!
**Cake Base adapted from King Arthur
And don’t forget to take a peek at what other talented bakers have baked this month:
- Boston Cream Bundt by Andrea at Adventures in All Things Food
- Boston Cream Pie Bundt Cake by Mary at Los Chatos Chefs
- Campbell’s Tomato Soup Cake by Wendy at A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Coca~Cola Bundt Cake by Mondo at I Bake He Shoots
- Hummingbird Bundt Cake by Teri at The Freshman Cook
- Inside-Out Ho Hos Lava Bundt Cake by Colleen at Faith, Hope, Love & Luck Survive Despite a Whiskered Accomplice
- Key Lime Bundt Cake by Sarah at The Chef Next Door
- Lemon Meringue Pie Bundt by Felice at All That’s Left are the Crumbs
- New York Style Crumb Cake by Tammy at Living the Gourmet
- Nutella Chocolate MIlkshake Bundt Cake by Bea and Mara at I Love Bundt Cakes
- Orange Creamsicle Cake by Sue at Palatable Pastime
- Pantera Rosa Bundt Cake by Rocío at kidsandchic
- Root Beer Float Bundt Cake by Rebekah at Making Miracles
- Sock It To Me Cake by Stacy at Food Lust People Love
- Strawberry Milkshake Swirl Bundt Cake by Laura at Baking in Pyjamas
- Tomato Soup Bundt Cake by Tux at Brooklyn Homemaker
- Tunnel of Fudge Cake by Kelly at Passion Kneaded