I received a Wendell August product for the purpose of this review. This post was made possible by Mom Spark Media. Thoughts are my own.
Saturday marks the birthday of this great country, and in my mind it also marks the official day of summer.
Cue the fireworks and sparklers; let the flags of red, white and blue soar high against the balmy summer sky; commence the backyard barbecues and summer celebrations of these sun-drenched days and endless nights. For these are the very essence and soul of America. We gather to pay homage to this country and its heroes who have given us this beautiful life.
Recently I had the opportunity to work with Wendell August, America’s oldest forge, where hand-wrought, functional art is created to shape life’s special moments. What better way to celebrate the American culture?
Wendell August has produced the finest American-made products since 1923. Each product is still handcrafted by its artisans in their Pennsylvania workshop using the original 8-step process. No two items are ever the same. Every piece is an original, unique work of American art.
I am honored to have their one-of-a-kind Waterfall Salad Set grace my table this Independence Day.
Defined by its exquisite finish and fresh designs- a blend of textured metal and glass, the Waterfall Collection is upscale, modern, yet simple.
In keeping with the contemporary design of the Waterfall Collection, I created a Calamari and Shrimp salad.
Tossed together with a fresh dressing, the fish marinades while chilling before serving.
This salad is the very definition of light, refreshing and satisfying, making it a perfect summer dish.
Cheers to summer; cheers to the American spirit, and more of life’s special moments.
15 minPrep Time
2 minCook Time
17 minTotal Time
- 1 lb. raw shrimp – de-veined and shell removed
- 2 lbs. raw calamari rings and tentacles
- 4 large cloves garlic – grilled
- 2 tbs. capers – chopped - plus 2 tbs. caper juice
- 4 stalks celery – with leaves – chopped
- 1/2 cup Italian parsley – chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh dill – chopped
- 6 oz. can of pitted black olives – chopped
- 1 head of Romaine lettuce – cleaned and sectioned
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 lemon – sliced thin
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- Boil a large pot of salted water. Add the cleaned shrimp and calamari for two to three minutes then drain.
- Set aside while preparing the rest of the salad.
- Heat a small frying pan with the garlic in the skin let grill until a nice char is achieved.
- Pinch the garlic from the skin and chop.
- Place the chopped parsley, dill, celery, olives, capers, garlic and seasonings in a large bowl. Add the shrimp and calamari and thin slices of lemon and toss.
- Prepare the dressing and pour over the salad; toss and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Serve with Romaine lettuce leaves.
Enjoy with Love,