- 3 ½ cups flour
- 2 tsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. fresh ground black pepper
- 1 packet of rapid rise yeast – (2 ¼ oz.)
- 2 tbs. olive oil
- 1 cup warm water
- Egg white for brushing
- Sesame seeds – for sprinkling
- 8 oz. Roasted peppers – well drained
- 8 oz. Ricotta cheese
- 8 oz. Fresh mozzarella
- ½ cup of Fresh Parmesan or Romano cheese for grating
- 3 – 4 links of sausage – cooked
For the Dough:
- Place the sugar and yeast is a large mug. Add the warm water and allow the yeast to proof. The water should get a nice big foam on top in a few minutes.
- In a large bowl add the flour, salt and fresh ground black pepper. Form a well in the center of the flour and add the olive oil and proofed yeast water.
- Stir with a fork to bring the dough together; then on a slightly floured surface form into a ball and knead for 6 – 7 minutes; the dough should be soft and smooth; form into a ball.
- Rub a bowl with olive oil and lightly oil the dough. Place the dough in the bowl and allow the dough to rise. It should double in size.
- Sprinkle a baking sheet with cornmeal or use parchment paper on the baking sheet.
- Punch the dough down and roll out the dough to ¼ inch in thickness.
- Fit the dough onto the baking sheet. Cutting the edges to fit nicely.
- Roll the edges into a ball to use later.
For the Filling & Assembly:
- Grill the sausage and cut into pieces before building the strudel.
- In the center of the dough spoon the ricotta cheese, sprinkle the mozzarella down the center, followed by the roasted peppers, grating cheese and sausage.
- On each side of the dough, slice each the dough in even distance of each slice.
- Fold each slice to reach the middle from top to bottom and gently rest each slice in the middle.
- Cut the edge of the dough in a arrow fashion on each side and fold each side over to wrap the strudel.
- Brush the strudel with egg white then sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Preheat Oven 375 degrees F.
- Bake for 30 – 35 minutes or until the strudel is a beautiful golden color.
If you have any leftover dough, you can make breadsticks. Follow the instructions below:
- Form the dough into a ball.
- Roll the dough out, on a floured surface, into about a ¼ inch thickness; making the dough as big as possible.
- Cut the dough into long strips, then twist the dough and place on a baking sheet prepared with either corn meal or parchment paper.
- Brush the twists with the egg-white then sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Bake at 375 degrees F. for 10 – 12 minutes or until the twists get a nice golden color.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: Stromboli, main dish, pizza