- 1 lb. your favorite pasta
- 2 lbs. Italian sausage, ground, removed from casing (1 lb mild & 1 lb hot)
- 28 oz, can crushed tomatoes
- 1 yellow onion, sliced
- 4–5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup Sans Wine Co. Carignan
- 1 lb. shredded mozzarella (16 oz pack)
- 1/2 cup grated cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 bayleaf
- Add 2 – 3 tbs. EVOO to large soup pot, and cook down the sausage – break up the meat while it cooks. Cook until browned. Add onion and garlic and cook until the garlic is fragrant and the onion is translucent.
- Add Sans Wine Co. Carignan to deglaze. Cook down for a few minutes. Stir in crushed tomato, salt, pepper, red pepper, oregano, and bay leaf.
- Taste for seasonings.
- Cook sauce on a gentle heat for about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta until “al dente” – don’t overcook your pasta!
- Drain and add to a bowl.
- In your casserole dish or cast iron pan, add a layer of sauce, layer of pasta, layer of mozzarella and grated cheese. Repeat until you’ve used up all of your sauce, pasta and cheese, finishing with mozzarella on top/last layer. Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cover with foil and poke holes to let heat escape. Bake for 30 minutes then remove the foil and bake another 10-15 minutes at 400 degrees to get cheese bubbly.
- Serve and enjoy!
Recipe inspired by Grandma Marlene’s Christmas Eve Pasta Casserole.
- Serving Size: 1