For the Crust:
- 2 cups Bob’s Redmill Organic Unbleached All Purpose White Flour
- 1 cup unsalted butter, chilled
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 3–4 tablespoons ice water
For the Filling:
- 5 cups water
- 1/2 cup wheat berries
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 lb. ricotta cheese
- 1 cup dried mixed fruit
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Zest of 1 whole lemon
- Zest of 1 whole orange
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Pinch of salt
- In the bowl of your food processor, blend flour, butter, sugar and salt together. Pulse until pea-size crumbs forms. Add iced water 1 tablespoon at a time until a soft, pliable dough comes together.
- Transfer the the dough to a well floured surface and roll into a ball. Slice 1/4 of the dough off, and re-shape into a ball again. Wrap the doughs in clingfilm and refrigerate until ready to use.
- In a medium pot, bring 5 cups of water to a boil. Add wheat berries and let it boil down for about 40-45 minutes until the wheat berries are soft.
- While the wheat berries are cooking, preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer, beat eggs and gradually add sugar. Mix in the ricotta cheese, dried fruits, vanilla, cinnamon, and citrus zests. Beat until a smooth, creamy mixture forms.
- Once the wheat berries are done, strain them and rinse. Transfer to a small bowl and toss with 1 tablespoon butter and a pinch of salt. Now fold the berries into the ricotta batter.
- Take out the chilled dough. Turn the large dough ball onto a well floured surface. Roll the dough out until it is 1/4″- thick. carefully place the dough over a 9″ spring form pan. Press the dough down and up the sides. Trim and add the remaining bits of dough to the small dough ball.
- Blind bake the pie crust for 5 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool while you roll out the small dough ball for the lattice strips.
- Fill the ricotta batter into the cooled pie shell and place the lattice topping over the cake.
- Return to the oven to let bake for about 45 minutes, or until the crust is nice and golden.
- Let the cake rest on a cooling rack until it has cooled completely. Cover the top with clingfilm and refrigerate overnight.
- Serve and Enjoy!
Prep Time does not include Inactive Prep Time.
- Category: Dessert
- Serving Size: 1