The weather is just cool enough to bring out the soup pots and chili bowls. This vegetarian chili is hearty and filling, packing enough heat to keep you warm this winter. With subtle notes of honey and an exotic blend of curry, cumin and turmeric, you won’t miss the meat in this variation.
It feels like it has been a long week, full of ups and downs. I am glad the weekend is finally here.
If you have not heard, the East Coast is on watch for Hurricane Joaquin. When I first heard that the conditions may be serious, I started preparing early.
As it so happens, I had just gone food shopping the day before. With all those fresh veggies, I would hate to see them go to waste, which is why this meal is perfect.
For now, it sounds like the storm may be heading out to sea and let’s hope it stays that way!
Nonetheless, we now have this beautiful leftover chili to enjoy all weekend while being rained in.
10 minPrep Time
30 minCook Time
40 minTotal Time
- 29 oz. can of diced tomatoes
- 19 oz. can of red beans – drained
- 1 jalapeño – chopped with seeds
- 3 cloves of garlic – chopped
- 1 pint of mushrooms – sliced
- 1 bell pepper (any color) – grilled and sliced
- 1 red onion – sliced thin
- 1 handful of Italian parsley – chopped
- 1/4 cup of raisins – chopped
- 2 tbs. of honey
- 2 tbs. of balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. curry powder
- 1/2 tsp. turmeric
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- Olive oil
- Avocado for garnish
- 2 cups of uncooked rice – prepared as directed
- In a small cast iron frying pan grill the pepper on all sides; let cool and slice
- Heat a cast iron saucepot with 2 tbs. of olive oil. Add the garlic, onion, mushrooms, jalapeño and Italian parsley; sauté until the onion is softened and the garlic is fragrant.
- Add the seasonings, sliced pepper and tomatoes; continue to simmer on a low heat.
- Add the raisins and beans and simmer on a low heat for about 25 – 30 minutes.
- Add the balsamic vinegar and honey.
- Plate the rice and topped with the chili, avocado and drizzle of olive oil.