10 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
30 minTotal Time
- 2 eggplants – sliced
- 3 eggs – beaten plus splash of water
- 1½ cups flour
- Drizzle of vegetable oil
- 2 stalks celery – chopped
- 3-4 cloves of garlic – chopped
- 1 tomato – diced
- ½ cup of Italian parsley – chopped
- 1 red onion – sliced
- 15 oz. can of black beans – drained
- ½ tsp. red pepper flakes
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. dried oregano
- ½ tsp. black pepper
- Parmesan or Romano cheese for grating
- Juice of one lemon
- 3-4 tablespoons of olive oil
- Preheat Oven 350 degrees:
- Set up two shallow bowls one with the egg-wash and one with the flour. Dip the eggplant slice first in the flour then the egg-wash and again in the flour.
- Place on a baking sheet and drizzle the slices with the vegetable oil.
- Bake for 20 – 25 minutes until a nice golden color is achieved.
- In a bowl combine the beans, tomato, parsley, celery and onion along with the spices lemon juice and olive oil and toss.
- In a large serving bowl place a layer of eggplant slices; grate the cheese over the slices and spoon the salad on top. Repeat this procedure until all of the eggplant and salad is used.
- Serve with crusty bread.