This was the first time I ever made or had Croque Monsieur, and I was delightfully surprised to find out how unbelievably easy it is to prepare. Rather than melting the white cheese sauce on top, I melted it inside the sandwich with the ham slices, then placed a heavy pan on top and cooked it like a panini.
Yields 4 servings
5 minPrep Time
10 minCook Time
15 minTotal Time
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup hot milk
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Pinch of cloves
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (can be replaced with Gruyere or any white cheese)
- Your favorite sandwich bread
- Dijon mustard or your favorite
- Virginia ham
- Apple slices - sliced thin
- In a small sauce pan, melt butter and add flour. Stir for about 2 minutes to cook the flour.
- Slowly add the hot milk in with the roux. Whisk until a nice thick sauce comes together.
- Remove from stove and add pepper, cloves and shredded cheese. Set aside.
- Lightly toast your bread and brush half the toasted slices with mustard. Add the Virginia ham and apple slices, then place about a tablespoon of the white cheese sauce to each sandwich. Top with the other slices of toasted bread.
- Preheat your Panini press or in a heated skillet melt some butter, then place the panini in the pan. Press down with another pan. Cook until the cheese has completely melted and the toast is golden crispy.
These Croque Monsieur Panini pair deliciously with RealBeanz – a flavorful iced coffee that is available in seven unique blends.
LTG was given the opportunity to try their Iced Coffee Caramel, Diet Cappuccino and their Dark Roast Coffee made with Coconut Water. To browse their online store and learn more about RealBeanz, visit their website 🙂
**I was given these products for review. I was not financially compensated for this post. All opinions expressed are my own.
Cook Eat Share
Just A Pinch